Just purchased Avalon Arbor stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan70

Oct 29, 2008
Long Island, NY
Just had the stove installed a couple of weeks ago and finally got some cold weather. I am brand new to the wood stove scene so bear with me. The stove seemed pretty easy to operate and I had a nice fire going quickly. The blower kicked on and it heated my 1600 square foot house nicely. Two questions: One, I used a Duraflame fire starting brick to get the fire going. It worked great but are there any dangers/downside to using this product. Second is dirty glass. When I slow the burn down the glass gets filthy. I am using seasoned/dry wood. Sorry if these questions are basic but like I said I am new to all this. Any oppinions on the Avlon Arbor would be great to. Thanks.

The use of a starter is fine. DuraFlame waxed logs in the stove are not ok.

It sounds like the stove is not getting hot enough. Do you have a thermometer on the stove top? If yes, what temperatures are you seeing?

I average between 400-450 f once it gets going. After doing some reading on the boards I see I'm not the only one dealing with the glass issue. I am going to apply some of the suggestions from other posters and see what happens. Thanks

Good choice of stoves habsfan,

I use a little firestarter and 2 or 3 pieces of fatwood everytime I start a fire and it works well. Using smaller pieces of wood heats that bad boy up fast. The glass in my Avalon and my previous Avalon, and my father in law's Avalon gets a little gray haze when burning down. Sometimes I get black around the edges when I am going for a slow overnight burn. But no worries, a good hot fire in the morning will take that glass and make her nice and clear :)

Put a thermometer right on top of the stove and get her up to about 500-600F then slowly shut her down in stages and she will cruise around 400-450F for a long time. Avalons are great stoves, I am very happy with mine. I also jealous of your, I would love to have the top loading feature.

Good luck and show some pics that of that beauty :)

great choice of stove, I burn the lopi leyden which is essentially the same stove. You will find the arbor's glass gets dirty much faster though. I find that if I wna to keep the glass clean I only put one or two logs in at a time. When I put more wood in it changes the air flow & the glass gets dirty really fast. I clean this glass way more than I did the hearthstone homestead. The trade off is the amazing amount of wood you can fit into these stoves. :) I can get 10 to 12 hours & more with good oak & hickory. I was getting 8 with maple. One thing you really want to watch is not to let the ash build up high enough inthe stove to fall into the air slots in the back. (secondary combustion) too much in there will really effect how the stove burns. I keep a 3/4 inch clear tubing, stuff it into the end of the vacum hose & clean the back chamber out about once a month. Good luck, feel free to contact me if you have questions. the least I can do is tell you I don't know :lol:
P.S. my wife has fallen in love w/that stove

I have the Leyden also which is about the same as your Arbor. My wife likes the looks of the stove a lot.

I have noticed on my stove (the few times to use it so far) when I close the bypass at 600 degrees stove top, the secondary will kick in nicely but the stove top temp will drop to less than 300 with a full load of wood when the primary air is pushed in all the way closed. At this point the blower is on and plenty of heat is produced - this convinces me that the secondary is burning.

Have any of you also noticed any thing like this?

BJ 64, I have experienced the same thing. After reading the boards I have learned that I was not shutting her down in stages once she got around 600 f. I was slamming her shut. I have applied the shut down in stages concept and have been maintaing 400 + temps most of the night. Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to know you guys are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.