Just Purchased My First Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacinJosh

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2015
Crestwood, KY
So after consulting Consumer Reports and my local shop guy, I decided to pull the trigger on a Stihl MS-271. 18" bar

3266b57f0add72475a05d0e970fb8b2e.jpg

f71772b9f72519727199f4dcdc19cdd4.jpg

I'm a chain saw noob so I read through the entire manual and watched some YouTube videos. Went outside to give it a go and I can't get the damn thing started for the life of me. Plenty of gas. Bar oil is fine. I put the choke all the way down and pull until my tongue is hanging out. Even tried to put it in the second choke level just below the run level and it won't start for nothing. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but I'm frustrated and not impressed at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I guess I'll take it back to the shop.

Also, if I ever do get it running, do y'all recommend the chaps and steel toe boots and hearing protection and full helmet, etc.? All I have right now is eye protection but I can always go pick up the rest.

Thanks

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I have not run a 271 but I assume the starting procedure is similar to my 261. I would guess you probably flooded it. With it on full choke, you want to listen for it to "blurp", like it fires once. After you hear that, immediately lift the choke up to the half choke position. It will normally start on the next pull or two. If you pull it more than 4-5 times on full choke, you have most likely missed the blurp and flooded the engine. On some saws it is easy to miss the blurp. On a hot restart, you simply go to half choke.

I have not run a 271 but I assume the starting procedure is similar to my 261. I would guess you probably flooded it. With it on full choke, you want to listen for it to "blurp", like it fires once. After you hear that, immediately lift the choke up to the half choke position. It will normally start on the next pull or two. If you pull it more than 4-5 times on full choke, you have most likely missed the blurp and flooded the engine. On some saws it is easy to miss the blurp. On a hot restart, you simply go to half choke.
Agreed, pull the spark plug now at this point and clean the electrode off then with the plug out at open choke pull the motor over a few times to get the raw fuel out of the combustion chamber, plug back in open choke still pull until it starts. A indication that you flooded the combustion chamber is raw fuel coming out of your muffler. Good luck! It's a great saw you'll love it

Pull the plug, wipe it on your jeans, pull the cord a couple times with the plug removed to dry out the cylinder a bit, then give it another go. There's a small chance that the new saw is just bad too... did the dealer run it for you before you picked it up? If not, check for spark when you have the plug removed.

Also don't forget the old on/ off switch... that's gotten all of us before.

Yes hearing protection and boots. If you're not felling, no need for a helmet. Chaps are generally a good idea, but kinda depend on the terrain. All flat ground and you're just bucking up logs? ehh... Never run the saw when you're tired.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Never run the saw when you're tired.
Chaps are a good idea, I have them but don't always use them. And this!! ^^^^ That's when bad stuff tends to happen. Congrats on the new saw, hope you get 'er running proper

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the saw of course... But if you can't trouble shoot and recognize a flooded saw you shouldn't forgo any safety gear.

No offense because in my opinion veterans get hurt just as quickly due to being being complacent but it's a good idea to start with good habits day 1.

No offense taken. I'm all ears.

I removed the plug. There was gas on it. I wiped it clean with a paper towel and made sure it was dry. Pulled the cord a few times with the plug removed. Left it in full choke as suggested above. Put the plug back in. Pulled and pulled and pulled and nothing.

[emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36]

Unscrew the plug, plug it in to the connector. Hold the end against metal/ the engine (has to be grounded), and pull the cord. A little easier to do with two people...

You do have proper two-stroke mix in there, right? Not just straight gas?

Unscrew the plug, plug it in to the connector. Hold the end against metal/ the engine (has to be grounded), and pull the cord. A little easier to do with two people...

You do have proper two-stroke mix in there, right? Not just straight gas?

Yeah. Bought the pre-mix stuff from Stihl. 50:1 mix. Extends the warranty.

Honestly I give up. I'm beyond frustrated now. Going to take it back. Now it's really hard to pull. Something isn't right.

Someone else asked also, did the shop have it running before you took it home?

Could someone also tell me how to disable the constant email notifications? I've scoured the settings and even clicked on the link in the emails and nothing is working. Thanks.

Left it in full choke as suggested above. Put the plug back in. Pulled and pulled and pulled and nothing.

Read the first reply.
Full choke until it sounds like it almost runs. Then half choke will start it. Once started hit the throttle once to take choke fully off. The more you keep pulling in full choke, the more you're flooding it.

Read the first reply.
Full choke until it sounds like it almost runs. Then half choke will start it. Once started hit the throttle once to take choke fully off. The more you keep pulling in full choke, the more you're flooding it.

I am not real up on new Stihls but if it is like my old one. As soon as it "pops" the choke is disengage and it should be on the fast idle position, (not half choke).

OP you saw sound real flooded. I'd pull the plug, blow out with compressed air then let it sit several hours without the plug in. Then reinstall and give it a pull or two (briskly like you mean it) on fast idle. If nothing, then go through the starting procedure outlined in the manual.

Full PPE is not optional! Perhaps seek out some guidance from a buddy or family member that is experienced with saws, learn from them but do not pick up the bad habits that most of us acquire over time.
As far as starting a Stihl goes I cannot help you there, U havent touched one in 34 years. My only advice is leave one ear uncovered (preferably your good one if you are like me) until the saw fires...when WEARING your ear protectors!

I don't own stihl but my Echo has an off switch and I validated that it will not start with that switch in the off position.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Read the first reply.

It never "sounds like it almost starts".

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm guessing it's really flooded and I'm tired of effing with it. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to let them deal with it or get me a replacement.

Not exactly how I envisioned my first day of cutting going. Tried to get that SOB started all day long. A brand new saw shouldn't be that finicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.