Just saw this water tank on local craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice tank.what exactly is a bladder tank? are you gonna buy it? How many gallons? just guessing that it about 4.5 feet in diameter and about 6 feet longs comes to about 750 gallons plus or minus.
Sorry for all the questions <>

let me know if you are gonna buy it. I would be interested in talking to the guy but dont want to step on ya

I have no interest at all in buying it.
I was just browsing CL and I thought this might be of interest to the boiler people (not that I wouldn't one day like to be one of you boiler people :) )

Thanks. But being a boiler person ain't what its all cracked up to be!

Actualy, I think it might be an expansion tank, it has a rating to 240 degrees, on the plate. Looks to be made by Wessels Co, should have a replaceable bladder, or at least thats what their site says.

Brandon

Actualy, I think it might be an expansion tank, it has a rating to 240 degrees, on the plate. Looks to be made by Wessels Co, should have a replaceable bladder, or at least thats what their site says.

Brandon

In your opinion could it be used as a storage tank?

Still have problems Mike?

Gg

No new ones just the same ones. Haven't had any time to replumb the primary loop or hook up my indirect dhw water tank.
I wanted to do it myself but I may call in a different plumber just to get the job done.

Not sure If this tank could be used for storage, but if it can I might be interested in it. For some reason, it seems a more manageable size instead of a 1000 gallon tank. But then again I wouldn't want to waste all that time and money and be undersized

It seems to be a bladder expansion tank to me but I suppose you could remove the bladder.

Honestly, it seems kind of small to be a real benefit for storage. I would think you could get several lp tanks for that price if you are worried about handling a big 1000 gallon tank.

Mike you are a carpenter, how about a little addition to your garage that you could put in a verticle 1000? I see some nice verticle 1000 gallon tanks at places where they fill 20lb lp tanks. I would like to land one of those because they are already set up verticle.

gg

GG,

you are right it is a little small. Instead of an addition to the garage, what I will do to fit a 1000 gallon tank is, I will cut the slab open and dig out a pit. Just like a car mechanics pit.
Then I can back the trailer up to the garage door and slip it right into the hole.

The yard I got my tanks from has a huge pile of 100 gallon tanks, I think they were around $80 each. It would be kind of a pain to plumb a few of them together, but they would also have an advantage of being easier to handle and being able to fit in smaller spaces. I was considering getting a few of them, rather than my two 330's, but went with the 330's.

It seems to be a bladder expansion tank to me but I suppose you could remove the bladder.

Honestly, it seems kind of small to be a real benefit for storage. I would think you could get several lp tanks for that price if you are worried about handling a big 1000 gallon tank.

Mike you are a carpenter, how about a little addition to your garage that you could put in a verticle 1000? I see some nice verticle 1000 gallon tanks at places where they fill 20lb lp tanks. I would like to land one of those because they are already set up verticle.

gg

It all depends on your load and boiler BTU output. In my case, I have an 85000 BTU boiler with 500 gallons of unpressurized storage. I am burning about 3 cord of wood per heating season and am burning one fire per day for about 4 to 5 hours burn time. I'm charging the tank to about 180::F and then shut it down. Just before my daily burn, which usually occurs about 4 to 5 pm, my tank temp is hardly ever below 135 to140 degrees. I do have the advantage of loss from the near boiler piping going into my basement and wafting up to the main level which heats for some period before the room thermostats call for heat.
So.... if my tank were a little larger, say 750 gallons, would I be able to skip a day of burning? I don't think so. If It were 1000 gallons, it would take quite a while to get it to 180 with an 85000 BTU boiler and then I'd be able to go two days without a fire, but is it worth it? I think that's a hell of a nice tank. I didn't notice if the photo had a manhole like the one in the specs that clarkbug posted but if it does it allows you to get a DHW coil in the tank without all the problems associated with side arms or heat exchangers thet most folks encounter when they use propane tanks.

Oh yea! There's almost always a difference between the asking price and the selling price!

For when they take the add down.

water tank.PNG

Go price a pressure vessel that size. That is a good deal. Looks like the top hole is to remove the bladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.