Just started thinking about stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johng

Jan 24, 2009
North East Florida
What a great site!! I live in North East Florida it does not get too cold here but it does get cold enough to need heat. I have a 4yr old house well insulated and tight 2400sq. ft. Open floor plan kitchen family room and eatin kitchen is all conected. Master bed room is beind the wall the fireplace is located.The fireplace is a prefab fireplace. That I hate I can not keep enough wood cut for my wife the fireplace burns alot of wood and does not give off enough heat it does have a blower that helps some. It is located in a corner on a diagonal.
Questions?
1. I would like a free standing wood stove. My idea is too cut out the sheet rock and turn the diagonal wall back into a corner. and put the free standing stove in the corner and use the existing chimney, it has a 6in double wall flue. Will this work? I can do all of the sheetrock work myself. I would probably get a professial to hook up the stove itself.

2.I keep reading about a stove heating so many sq. ft. But, How does this work? My fire place will heat the family room up but not the other rooms. I was thinking about putting a vent in the wall above the stove this would go straight into the master bed room would this let much heat into that room?? How much would a stove help heat the rooms on the other side of the house? I could run the fan only on the cental air unit would this help move heat around the house?
3. Would I be better to get a smaller stove since my climate is not too cold? I would like to be able to use it when the temp outside is in the 50s.
Thanks for any comments or advice. I am just starting to learn about wood stoves. I want something that is more energy efficent and puts out more heat. I do not think I want an insert.

Yes, it can work. The flue will need to be replaced with one that has a higher temperature rating. The key to using it in warmer temps will be having a flue that is tall enough. This can be an issue in a low, single story home. For your climate, I'd look at stoves in the 2 cu ft range that have good corner clearances and a low, minimum flue height to improve moderate weather performance. If the house is nice and tight, consider adding an outside air kit.

This article is about burning in your area. It should be helpful in understanding the draft issues you may run into.

http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

You might consider just abandoning the existing flue altogether and running a new stovepipe/chimney straight up and out. Better draft, easier to clean without turning corners to get it to fit. Rick

Thanks, for the replys. My stove pipe will be about 18-20 ft long it is a straight shot up through the roof now. I have 12ft ceicling in the family room plus a 7/12 pitch roof which makes the attic space kind of tall plus a five ft chimney that boxes in the flue so it is kind of tall even for a single story. Would that help the draft? I do not have a problem chaging the pipe if need be. It should all be easy to get to once I tear out the old sheet rock and fireplace.

How is the best way to move the heat to the other rooms? Would a vent thruogh the wall above the stove help much in the room opisite the stove? What if I put a small fan in the vent going through the wall?

Can you post a floor plan sketch? Many folks solve heat circulation issues with a fan on the floor in the cold area, pointed towards the stove. Other folks have solved their issue with a ceiling fan. Some use both. It depends on the house and its layout.

I am not sure how to post a drawing. But, it is shaped like a C with the master bed room on one end with the family room and kitchen in the middle and the other bed rooms on the other side.

I read the link posted and it looks like I might have a problem with my stove burning too hot and too short. This is one of the reasons for wanting the stove. I would like to prolong my burn time and get more heat. But, I do not want it so hot you have to open a window. Granted this is all speculation because I am just in the planning and learning stage. I wanted to do this project over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.