Just started to burn.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad0351

Jun 17, 2011
SW New Hampshire
I know I just started to burn but was wondering what to look for early on to decide if the pellets I am burning are burning clean or not....I have run the stove for just 4 or 5 hours and there is virtualy NO ash in the pan....the window is crystal clear and there is no smoke of any kind I can see from the exaust vent??
Just wondering.

Dale

I am beyond gitty over this pellet thing!!!

Thats all normal, May take a few days in the shoulders(depending on feed setting) to see ash build up. It will also depend on the brand of fuel your using.

Sounds like you have a stove that is burning very well. Pellets make very little ash compared to a wood stove. But the fact that the glass is still clear after 4-5 hours of burning is a VERY good sign!

As for the exhaust "smoke", (or the lack of), that is perfectly normal for a pellet stove. If it's running well, there will be no smoke, except for just after the stove is started and the pellets smolder a little before the flame appears. Otherwise, you should see nothing.

imacman said:
Sounds like you have a stove that is burning very well. Pellets make very little ash compared to a wood stove. But the fact that the glass is still clear after 4-5 hours of burning is a VERY good sign!

As for the exhaust "smoke", (or the lack of), that is perfectly normal for a pellet stove. If it's running well, there will be no smoke, except for just after the stove is started and the pellets smolder a little before the flame appears. Otherwise, you should see nothing.

Yup the only time I saw anything while the stove was burning was when it was -25. Saw what must have been water vapor flying by the house.
Watched it from where it was warm, inside!!

I have been burning for the last couple cold mornings in the upper 20's and i'm buring softwood red pine pellets. I noticed that I needed to open up my feed rate alittle to get that quad 4" flame above the pot going good. I noticed with the hardwoods that I can lower the feed rate a bit more. Does anyone who has burnt soft pellets noticed this ??

Hank Hill said:
I have been burning for the last couple cold mornings in the upper 20's and i'm buring softwood red pine pellets. I noticed that I needed to open up my feed rate alittle to get that quad 4" flame above the pot going good. I noticed with the hardwoods that I can lower the feed rate a bit more. Does anyone who has burnt soft pellets noticed this ??

I don't think its the fiber(softwood vs hardwood), But more like density and size causing this. If I remember correctly the Somersets were dense and on the short side which would require less feed rate. The shorter dense pellet will feed more fuel compared to a longer/less dense pellet. If the softwoods are longer and less dense? It would make sense that you needsd to open it up some to get the same flame height.

They are alittle longer and lighter. I noticed it was feeding good enough and it actually caused the stove to go out. So I opened in up about 1/4" and it does good. I think I could even open it up more. They burn hot and are clean. But will be burning somersets mostly this season so I may have to crank it back some. Thanx..

bad0351 said:
I know I just started to burn but was wondering what to look for early on to decide if the pellets I am burning are burning clean or not....I have run the stove for just 4 or 5 hours and there is virtualy NO ash in the pan....the window is crystal clear and there is no smoke of any kind I can see from the exaust vent??
Just wondering.

Dale

I am beyond gitty over this pellet thing!!!

With a quality pellet and a good air wash system. It should be a few days before the glass even starts to get dirty. My CB 1200 will take a week before its really nasty and the glass is bad. But because of the Air Wash, there will always be a clean spot. depends on the model of stove as to where and how large.

It should take about a month and you will have everything fine-tuned (Once season starts). Some take to the learning curve quicker than others.

Pellets need air to burn..... Understand this. If your stove is not burning well (Down the road), then there is a problem with the air. That will come from one of the many things that a "Dirty Stove" is famous for. Clogged burn pot holes, plugged vent, termination cap, combustion blower, etc. Pay attention to how it burns now (New) and if and when it starts to change. Note what you may be doing different (Pellets, Oak, outdoor temp/humidity). I tried writing a lot down my 1st year.

Last year I went crazy with my Kill-A-Watt Meter. Testing the juice that my stove uses on Start-up, Running without feeding, Running with Feeding (Auger spinning/dropping pellets). I have a few pages of #'s. Most stoves cost under $100 to run throughout the heating season. (Quite a few threads last year about them) . Or at least thats what everyones results stated. Without looking it up. Its about $20 a month (I think less than that) for electricity. Which is not bad. Our electric in the Summer ($190 w/central Air) in the Winter ($110 w/Pellet Stove).. I am a Winter guy. I love fire and love the accomplishment/pride I get from heating my home without oil now, for 3 yrs.

Your gonna Love the "Pellet Thing"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.