Just Thinking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetta

Feb 18, 2011
no. mn.
Just wondering how many are familiar with Jack London's "To Build A Fire"? If not, it is a short story that deals with a mans attempt to start a fire upon which his survival hinges on his success .

I wouldn't think most of us burn wood from a survival stand point. Certainly the economic issue comes into play, but even that isn't large once we factor in the equipment required and time spent harvesting. If you buy wood than it's even less of a factor. Often times it's probably the satisfaction one gets from the freedom from utility companies, and putting some cash back into the local economy.

In our home we've burned for over twenty years so it has become somewhat of a passion and is for most of you as well. The soothing warmth of a wood fire can't be duplicated so thats reason number one. Secondly the feeling of not being quite as demanding on "Mother Earth" is fullfilling as well.

We would probably all agree that building a fire and watching the "ebb and flow" of the flames is agreat way to slow down and contemplate everything important to us,whatever that may be. Fire, either in a stove or a fire ring, draws us like a magnet and is a link to our primal selves.

So even as we retire the wood stoves for the summer we will soon be anticipating those first frosty evenings of the fall when we can star to burn again.

Anyway here's hoping Mother Nature will allow us all another"off season "when the sun replaces the radiant heat of the hearth and eveyone can replenish the wood stacks. Here is wishing everyone a safe and pleasant summer, take care.

rhetta said:
Just wondering how many are familiar with Jack London's "To Build A Fire"? If not, it is a short story that deals with a mans attempt to start a fire upon which his survival hinges on his success

I don't reply to very many posts, but I want to take this opportunity to suggest, (as I have for many years), that this is a book/short story that every outdoorsman should read and enjoy.
The talented Mr. London goes much deeper than just the techniques of fire building and dog training.

For those modern types that don't enjoy the printed word, there was once a video version that wasn't half-bad. Maybe someone knows how to get a hold of it.

Here's an animation of the story:

BeGreen, that video is of the more famous "Call of the Wild".
"To Build a Fire" is a shorter story, I believe.

I think this here link: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800395257/info

is the one I was thinking of. It says it's narrated by Orson Welles. (Can't be all bad)

When I was laid up for some time, my sister and BIL gave me a comic book version of Call of the Wild. It was good because it was a reprint of a 1950s version. No editing out of politically incorrect items (mot much to see anyway), nor the dogfights. I plan to pass it on to my nephew as soon as I get around to it. Would love to have a To Build a Fire to go with it.

Edit to add: Here is their review. Not accurate because it suggests that the man is unfamiliar with the ways of the north. The man was plenty familiar with the dangers, but he had gold fever. The dog, OTOH, has no such temporal greed, and knows they should both be staying in one place until warmer weather.

Synopsis Of To Build A Fire
Based on the celebrated short story by Jack London, this drama concerns a traveler unfamiliar with the ways of the Yukon wilderness who finds himself lost far from camp. Once the man realizes just how lost he truly is, he begins an increasingly desperate effort to build a campfire and stave off the elements which could easily claim his life. A scrupulously accurate translation of London's text, To Build a Fire is mostly silent, with Orson Welles performing narration drawn from London's story; Ian Hogg plays the unfortunate traveler. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

Theatrical Feature Running Time:
56 mins
Complete Cast Of To Build A Fire
Ian Hogg

Not to turn this into a London thread, but if you've read the more famous London stories, like White Fang, Call of the Wild, and To Build a Fire, and liked them, definitely get a collection of his short stories - I've read nearly all of them and they are almost all excellent reads and I think 'woodsy' folk especially appreciate them. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.