Just to clarify. Nurse logs are not garbage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they say that drowning is a peaceful death, but the ocean is sooooo cold around here. A bit morbid, sorry. I am feeling a bit melancholy tonight after working on a food security report - one of my survey responses was just so tragic. Hard to imagine struggles like that in a little place like this.

Yeah, the Benthic Zone is creepy. I wasn't trying to be moribund, just having a little fun with the OP. A nice dappled glade above a rill with some wild Apple and mixed hardwood would be nice!

I cut some maple chunks this past summer that my son had asked for to bore some holes into the chunks and plant shitake plugs(?) into. I don't think he'll start until spring, not sure on that since I'm really not a mushroom fanatic. I guess they could be considered nurse chunks?

Hey Cynnergy-I also have heard that drowning is a peaceful death and have always wondered....just how would anyone know??? Can't imagine anytime a person is struggling to breathe being peacful.

Nice pics in the link, K

I cut some maple chunks this past summer that my son had asked for to bore some holes into the chunks and plant shitake plugs(?) into. I don't think he'll start until spring, not sure on that since I'm really not a mushroom fanatic. I guess they could be considered nurse chunks?

Hey Cynnergy-I also have heard that drowning is a peaceful death and have always wondered....just how would anyone know??? Can't imagine anytime a person is struggling to breathe being peacful.

Nice pics in the link, K

I always wonder about this. When the log starts producing, how do you know you're getting Shitakes? Your nurse log could foster a number of 'shrooms, some of them dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.