Just took delivery of next years pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2006
Eastern ON
This morning I got my pellets for next year. With concerns about prices and availability next fall, I decided to buy now.

Normally I call in late August for a September delivery, but I found 4 pallets (75 bags each) at $5.25/bag, delivery included ($262.50/ton). That's a good price for around here, where the few places that have stock are at $6.70 or higher.

Now, I just have to see if I'm going to beat oil :)

Cheers

Kenny

I just locked in on 1300 gallons of oil for $1.65 USD. The cheapest I can find pellets for is $199 P/Ton and I don't think pellets are going to drop enough this year to beat that price.

At 1.65/gal and $199/ton I'd horde at both those prices if you have the room. Even if I had to pick up another tank or build a small shed.

In order to hoard the pellets I need to build a bin that's going to cost about $700 bucks first. The pellets are bulk commercial grade hence the need for the bin.

I need to order another 700 gallons of oil to get both my houses through the winter. Hopefully I can get the oil for the same price.

my order is in with pelletsales.com for 3 ton of lg's for about 279 a ton deliverd.I will still need one more ton but I will get that as I go along.My oil co. quoted me 2.15 a gallon for the lock in price with a 1000 gallon min, I only use about 700 to 800 gallons per year,in the end its probably a wash between pellets and oil but we like the pellet stove better,now if I could just get rid of the propane I would be ok, use it just for hot water,so you know they soak me at 3.23 a gallon!!!OUCH

For me it was a no brainer. I need 10 ton of pellets to heat my house or I can use about 1000 gallons. So it's $1650 for oil vs. $2000 for pellets.

In this economy I'll take the $350 in savings and put it toward the pellet bin because I know pellets will eventually be cheaper than oil in the long run.

CanadaClinker said:
What kind of pellets were they? :)

LG Granules. I've never had these before, but a co-worked used them this year and said they were OK.

Andrew Churchill said:
I just locked in on 1300 gallons of oil for $1.65 USD. The cheapest I can find pellets for is $199 P/Ton and I don't think pellets are going to drop enough this year to beat that price.

Wow, at $1.65 a gallon, I'd be locking in at that as well. Lowest I got this winter has been about $0.63/l, which I think works out to about $2.38/gallon.

Cheers

Kenny

1.68 a gallon thru codoil.com, 400 gallons delivered in march.
3 tons of barefoots pellets @ 259.00 ton picked up today at TRI-County Coal.
And 1 ton of NEWP / Greenway Left from last year.

Hopefully Should Be set unless pellets drop further in price then I might Pig out and Buy another 2 tons for reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.