Just uncovered all my 14 stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
Thought I would try something different this year. Letting the wind and warmer sun penetrate the top
layers of my stacks. I've always kept them covered all year. Can't hurt and it looks a lot cooler with no covering.:)

Uh oh.
Naked wood.

Yep, Maybe until October or so.

I don't think it'll make too much difference either way. Tops might get wetter, but will get more sun. What kind of wood is it?

Lots of mixed hardwood. Most is locust and red oak. Mulberry and osage is the rest.

I cover the stacks through the winter and spring and un cover them through the summer and fall. By cover I mean just the tops to keep water from going down into the stacks and soaking or freezing into the wood. Wood depending on species can be a little spungy in the spring and to be honest it dries out very fast after a rain. You don't really even need to cover the tops but I personally think it helps a bit.

Pete

I leave my stacks uncovered for 12-18 months depending on the weather. Wood that was split and stacked 12 months ago is waiting to be covered now but I'll wait until it has been dry at least two weeks before I cover them. I like to have a cover for at least 18 months before I burn but a lot depends on the weather. My wood consists of almost all oak with some black locust, cherry and mulberry. Right now I am splitting my 2016-2017 supply. It feels good knowing I am set for at least 3 years.

Reactions: ScotO
I leave what ever I stack during the spring/summer uncovered until October or so.

Unless it's pine, then I top cover it only, gotta get them puppies dried out, quick :p

No harm unless you have some long rain spells which the east seems to get lots of. Around here, we split and stack in the spring and leave the stacks uncovered until late fall or early winter. Have done that for years with good results. I think leaving the top uncovered in the summer months allows for more evaporation of moisture.

Mine stay out in the breeze free willie year round other than what I think I may need that winter. I just don't like snow coming into the house on the splits. Seems to be working but time will tell if I need to change my technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.