Just when I thought I could shut down for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swore I was done for the year and have been exercising the furnace for a couple of weeks, but lighting a fire was just irresistible tonight. This past weekend I camped out with the kids and had a nice campfire, and tonight here I am with a fire inside. Just something about it I guess.

Nope snow this morning! Found some downed dead dry ash by the roadside. Keeping me nice and warm tonigh1!

I've got one cord left in the pole shed. 44 degrees heading down to 27. My Isle Royale looks lonely all summer. She deserves fire tonight.

Reactions: begreen
It was 81 in Conn. last Saturday - haven't used the stove for a few weeks. In the 30s tonight. so have a fire going. Even though we had quite a tough winter, it felt good having the stove going again. Hard to say when will be the last time for the season, it's been old enough in May to use it. It's been nice not having to clear snow first thing in the morning before work, but I'm not looking forward to hot weather.

59 in the house when i got home tonight. It's either lite the furnace or lite the wood stove to take the chill out. Wood stove wins and if i stoke it good it'll still be warm in the morning. Got to be about done here soon tho.

Gonna be the third MAY in a row that I burned, I'm sure.......

Still burning . . . had a few days when we didn't burn or had a single burn . . . woke up this morning to 34 degree temps and it was spitting snow.

It's no big deal though . . . it will not stick . . . and our crocuses are out . . . daffodils to follow . . . heard the peepers last night . . . been watching the geese head back to Canada . . . mallard ducks are hanging out in our side yard which has been transformed briefly to a pond. Frost is finally out of the ground. Plenty of mud.

Soon to follow . . . black flies and then summer tourists.

I've got one cord left in the pole shed. 44 degrees heading down to 27. My Isle Royale looks lonely all summer. She deserves fire tonight.
Agree ! The isle royale did a great job all winter. A few more nights in shoulder season seem justified!

Burning here daily still although yesterday we took the day off since we were out all day and night and had the stove going in the am. Begreen I noticed family had highs of 10c in Vancouver BC and rain today, so like you mentioned on Sunday you can get cool weather in the spring thats for sure. We were cool today with snow squalls so the stove is up and running. I dont mind I like my stove heat!

Yes, we've been burning too. It's nice to have the fire and a good book to read in front of it on a wet and cold day.

Just fired up both stoves to knock off the chill and dry things out. This week we fired up every day. Just when we think the cold has passed I find myself back outside picking at the wood pile.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Same here, had the stove down for about a month, figured I was done. I had everything cleaned out. It was nice in the upper 70's last week, then wednesday this week hit a cold snap and down to 30 degrees we go. Fired up the allnighter for a 24 hr burn since.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
We got off lightly this spring so I don't mind giving the heat pump a break once in awhile.

Yes we got off lightly over here too.
I can remember some April may months in past years that were resolutely in the 40s, cold and damp.
Should hit 88 today. A/c going on for the first time this afternoon I think/

Once again after several nice weeks we had a cloudy overcast 49 degree pair of days with upper 30 lows at night sooooo had to burn again last night. Didn't take long or much wood and the house was nice again. I sure like getting up to a comfortable house in the mornings.

Hope that was it for the year as I need to take the chimney down so I can move it to a better location. Wanted to have that done already but it isn't.

Huauqui

Crazy how just a week or two can make a difference. 85-90 degrees today. Got the A/C blasting lol

After a long sunny run we are in for a grey week. It's 52::F and the heat pump is humming here. Supposed to go down to 48F tomorrow night. I may light up a fire for nostalgia's sake tomorrow.

I pulled on some fleece for today while the family is gone from the house, but I'll be lighting up the stove tonight. It's been in the 40's all day and misting.
Frost advisory tonight.

Still burning . . . had a few days when we didn't burn or had a single burn . . . woke up this morning to 34 degree temps and it was spitting snow.

It's no big deal though . . . it will not stick . . . and our crocuses are out . . . daffodils to follow . . . heard the peepers last night . . . been watching the geese head back to Canada . . . mallard ducks are hanging out in our side yard which has been transformed briefly to a pond. Frost is finally out of the ground. Plenty of mud.

Soon to follow . . . black flies and then summer tourists.

I think I would prefer the black flies if given a choice... :)

TreeNut, you must have never had to endure black flies. We are not talking house flies here. Black flies have been known to kill small animals where they are common by bleeding them to death.

I remember a June wedding back in Cornwall, CT that almost got cancelled because of black flies. They had to mass fumigate the place then hurry up the ceremony.

Still finishing up the heating season here. 30's tonight, and highs in the low 50's tomorrow. Found some nice two year old birch to light off for the evening.

Fired off the PE .... damn it.

Some times living in the Hollow is a curse ... but I get awesome lettuce :p

80 degrees and a downpour here at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.