Just when I thought my mind was made up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozymandias

Apr 22, 2013
Massachusetts
Hello again everyone. I've posted before soliciting your advice and opinions regarding a pellet insert for my 2900 sqft two story home. I had been trying to decide between the Mt. Vernon and the M55. After hearing from you and after Scott spent some time walking me through the M55, I decided on this over the Mt. Vernon.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet was because of the rumor of the Harman p52i. Now it is here and looks to be a very nice stove. This would be my first pellet stove and I am pretty excited to get it in the home. It doesn't sound like I can go wrong with either of the stoves, but I would be interested in knowing what you each would select and why. I am looking for a stove that can put out a lot of heat, will be reliable, and easy to service. From a looks standpoint, my wife gives the edge to the Harman.

How does the cost of perishable items for each of these stoves compare? Are both on a rail system? I do plan on having an OAK which will be run up a 35ft chimney. I was thinking of putting the M55 on a thermostat (hi/low) since I already have a wire run for it. Am I correct in thinking that this is not an option for the p52i?

Curious to know your thoughts and why you would chose one over the other. I've learned a lot from this forum and I've enjoyed reading the discussions.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This is what the new insert will replace. Propane Vermont Casting.

fireplace2.jpg

Here's my take on it...and yes, I am the same Scott that showed him the M55 in my shop.

First off....thought the Accentra is a tried and true insert, redesigns, improvements etc... need to be totally vetted. As such, I would never buy the first model year of a car or pellet stove. If you guys go back in time here on the boards, you'll see my same hesitation to the M55 back in 2010. First year things need to be lived out in real time, real use by real; people other than those who designed them before any problems can be truly addressed. Will there be a problem...yes there most certainly will. Will it be a big deal, perhaps not and it will be under a warranty anyway.

Does Harman make a better stove? Personally, I think Harman designs are better. I think they have one of the best builds in the business. Some of the old still exists...he new Accentra still isn't on wheels so you have to wrestle 400lbs to clean the vent, the control board still hasn't been modified to work with regular thermostats, still a passive ignition system, still a burn pot which is not easily removable...don't let an enamel finish and mirrored glass fool you completely.

Would I like to have one of my very own? Yes I would. Still and always will be one of my favorite stoves/ inserts of all time. I'm sure these will be welcomed improvements.

The M55 has some things I wish would be addressed..... larger diameter and longer lentil stop bolts, a full cast surround, variable-opposing heat and fan control.

FYI the Harman may fit the square opening thing you were concerned about better. I will admit that the Accentra sits on the hearth nicer than any other...it presents itself very well.

Thank you Scott for the objective comments. Much appreciated.

Where is the temperature sensor for the Harman? Is it possible for it to be placed outside of the room in an adjacent hallway? I need to do a little more investigating on the Harman website to understand how this works.

I do also wish it was on rollers. This is a very nice feature.

I was just looking more closely at the insert. It appears though it does have rollers on the back! Not 100% but looks as though. Yes, the temp probe can be located elsewhere. The temp sensor works as a resistor which senses the room air temp to allow the stove to ramp up and down as it it gets closer to the set point. There are a bunch of modifications which can be done to adapt a set back for nighttime temp and or use a tstat to operate the stove but you will get 4 blink error codes when temp is achieved and no ramp to a set point. Easier to explain in person.

Thank you Scott for the objective comments. Much appreciated.

Where is the temperature sensor for the Harman? Is it possible for it to be placed outside of the room in an adjacent hallway? I need to do a little more investigating on the Harman website to understand how this works.

I do also wish it was on rollers. This is a very nice feature.

Hello

You can attach a Skytech Wireless Thermostat to the Harman stoves for a remote T-Stat! Just attach the receiver to one of the Harman's sensor clips on the back of the stove.

The remote t-stat control can then be hung on any wall with the wall clip. Then you can even slip it out of the wall clip and put it next to you for even more comfort!

Hello

You can attach a Skytech Wireless Thermostat to the Harman stoves for a remote T-Stat! Just attach the receiver to one of the Harman's sensor clips on the back of the stove.

The remote t-stat control can then be hung on any wall with the wall clip. Then you can even slip it out of the wall clip and put it next to you for even more comfort!
Draw a diagram and list part numbers from skytech. It's not that easy. The room probe needs to be modified inline too and will trigger #4 errors when set point is reached.

Draw a diagram and list part numbers from skytech. It's not that easy. The room probe needs to be modified inline too and will trigger #4 errors when set point is reached.

No Scott, No Mods. I am a Skytech Dealer and have installed Skytech T-Stats. It is very easy! The clips on the Skytech receiver clips are dual male or female in design. Which means you unplug one wire of the room probe and plug it into one of the SkyTech Reciever clips. Then you plug the other SkyTech Receiver clip into the back of the stove. You set the stove to room temperature and the temp dial to 90 Degrees. Then set the Skytech remote to the desired temp say 75 degs. This way the Harman stove uses the Skytech as the T-Stat. MePellet has this exact setup and says it works well for him too.

Sorry, but No errors in doing it this way! :)

Some people like the SkyTech touch screen remotes.
I like the simple 4 button Sky-1001-THA with LCD Temp readout.
http://skytechpg.com/thermostatic-and-programmable-units/1001-th/

Ok, so now the stove does not ramp down when it get toward set point cause it thinks its 90 degrees and when the skytech open s the signal at set point you will get a four blink error (room sensing probe disconnected) so the stove goes in to fault mode then shuts down. Then what? You may be a Skytech dealer but it doesn't mean you have ever sold one or made the mod. The four blink error is the issue Harman has with tstats.

I'm familiar with them, I stock the 5301p, a bit pricey at $300 but still cheaper than snaking a wire through joists!

Ok, so now the stove does not ramp down when it get toward set point cause it thinks its 90 degrees and when the skytech open s the signal at set point you will get a four blink error (room sensing probe disconnected) so the stove goes in to fault mode then shuts down. Then what? You may be a Skytech dealer but it doesn't mean you have ever sold one or made the mod. The four blink error is the issue Harman has with tstats.

Here is the thread on Hooking up a T-Stat to a Harman Stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-with-thermostat.106536/#post-1390087

If you read through it, you may find this answer to your question. Most people set the stove to auto to avoid the 4 blink.
"If the stove is a manual ignition model, or an auto-igniting unit with the selector switch set to manual, the stove will go into the 4-blink status when the thermostat opens (is satisfied) and the stove will go to a minimum burn and stay there until the thermostat closes (calls for heat). When the thermostat closes, the 4 blink status will reset automatically."

Here is a quote from MePellet, why not ask him how it works if you do not know Scott?

I have a Harman and I added a tstat. One big benefit was to add automatic night setback. Saves pellets. Don't believe anyone that tells you that setbacks do not save energy. They are not correct. There is however the comfort factor and how long it takes to get the space back up to temperature. THAT is a different story and is a function of many things (stove size, insulation, outside temperature, infiltration etc.)

@swilliamson, how does the new accentra differ in design that what Harman has been doing in the past few years? I would assume the new stove contains a lot of recycled parts. And how does it compare to the Mt Vernon now? I'm a little surprised, is Harman concerned about cannibalizing sales of the Mt Vernon? Truth be told, I like the design of harman better and would have gone with this over my Mt Vernon.

@swilliamson, how does the new accentra differ in design that what Harman has been doing in the past few years? I would assume the new stove contains a lot of recycled parts. And how does it compare to the Mt Vernon now? I'm a little surprised, is Harman concerned about cannibalizing sales of the Mt Vernon? Truth be told, I like the design of harman better and would have gone with this over my Mt Vernon.
I gotta play with one. I had a Harman dealer that gve me 100+ installs a year, then I taught his guys to install so now I don't get very many Harman installs anymore. I don't think any dealers have received delivery of any units yet either... I will get to play some day. As for mt Vernon sales... I think that ship has sailed. The retail is way too much, too complicated and tax incentives are gone. I heard they were dumbing it down too, not sure what that means... Less sensors maybe?

Naw, Harman does things pretty well. Each stove is very unique. Control boards and motor components are interchangeable to some extent. Feeder bodies somewhat universal with the ultralights. HHT has been trimming the fat so I imagine that ate up a lot of r and d. The last new stove from them was the p35i and that was totally different than any other stove, seems like he 52i is going somewhere in that direction, less metal more punch. They haven't gone down the road of Phillips head stove construction like quads...still seems to be some welding going on in Halifax.

Naw, Harman does things pretty well. Each stove is very unique. Control boards and motor components are interchangeable to some extent. Feeder bodies somewhat universal with the ultralights. HHT has been trimming the fat so I imagine that ate up a lot of r and d. The last new stove from them was the p35i and that was totally different than any other stove, seems like he 52i is going somewhere in that direction, less metal more punch. They haven't gone down the road of Phillips head stove construction like quads...still seems to be some welding going on in Halifax.

What do think of the Harman Accentra Insert with the room blower mounted on the bottom? The right side of the heat exchanger tubes are much warmer than the left side? ? ?

But will it work the same in auto off?

I tried this setup, it does work in auto as well. I don't know how much I like compared to self-modulating Harman style.

As an aside, a Harman is a Harman, regardless of model and that goes a long way.

I'm familiar with them, I stock the 5301p, a bit pricey at $300 but still cheaper than snaking a wire through joists!

You and Don need to start your own forum where you can argue if the sky is blue or not. I personally think you do an incredible disservice to folks here who are only looking for some basic guidance on what works and what doesn't. For every question asked you two go for each other's throats. It's getting old really fast!

I had a Harman dealer that gve me 100+ installs a year

Good Idea, you really need a forum for your biz Scott, this is not the place. We just give advice on how things work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.