Just when you think your wood's all gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Fella dropped a dead maple for me the other day. I bucked and split it, then decided it was high time for a moisture meter. Readings are 12% to 18%.

Let there be fire...

I'll keep some of it for my first burns in the Englander 30, which comes to live here Wednesday afternoon. I won't get it installed until April or May sometime...

I know, I know... Photos or it didn't happen.

Nancy

Wow! So much for the theory that a dead, standing tree won't season...good deal!

It really depends on the tree, reasons for it's death, location, size, and a ton of other variables.

If it's dry, it's dry. Look forward to seeing how that 30 does for you.

pen

pen said:
It really depends on the tree, reasons for it's death, location, size, and a ton of other variables.

If it's dry, it's dry.

Spot on.

Nancy - I hope you have some appropriate clothing to wear when that 30 gets cranked up. ;-)

PopCrackleSnap said:
Fella dropped a dead maple for me the other day. I bucked and split it, then decided it was high time for a moisture meter. Readings are 12% to 18%.

Let there be fire...

I'll keep some of it for my first burns in the Englander 30, which comes to live here Wednesday afternoon. I won't get it installed until April or May sometime...

Nancy

Just a rumor at this point! I am pulling for you though! I believe............. ;-)

Keep at it Nancy. If you are over ambitious, I have a nasty pin oak that needs to come down and get bucked up. Maybe you'd be interested in helping a poor fella who is taking like easy because the wife hid the damned saw.

Backwoods Savage said:
... because the wife hid the damned saw.

BAAA ha hahaha - I like your wife, and I have never even met her. :lol:

DAnged ornery women...

Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I have met her... Somehow I suspect that if she thought it was necessary she'd give that saw away to keep him safe. A good wife there I'm sure.

PopCrackleSnap said:

Let there be fire...

Nancy

I dropped some dead standing this winter and the moisture content seemed to run 22-24 percent, not bad at all but 12-18 percent is great.

Zap

PopCrackleSnap said:

Let there be fire...

Nancy

Well??? pictures

Backwoods Savage said:
K I have a nasty pin oak that needs to come down and get bucked up. Maybe you'd be interested in helping a poor fella who is taking like easy because the wife hid the damned saw.
Dennis is getting a "NEW SAW" WOW!

Backwoods Savage said:
Keep at it Nancy. If you are over ambitious, I have a nasty pin oak that needs to come down and get bucked up. Maybe you'd be interested in helping a poor fella who is taking like easy because the wife hid the damned saw.

Dennis -

Are you sure that she hid it; and NOT take it apart and make an Easter Egg hunt of it?!!
I'm glad that someone else has your best interest in mind. Ornery, or not, I think she has the likens for ya. ;-)

On another note, I'm glad that your up-n-about, and "sneakin'"around every chance you get. Being prisoner due to a surgery I can relate to, just can't wait to do something; anything!

P.J.

Backwoods Savage said:
K I have a nasty pin oak that needs to come down and get bucked up. Maybe you'd be interested in helping a poor fella who is taking like easy because the wife hid the damned saw.
Dennis is getting a "NEW SAW" WOW![/quote]

Naw actually Quads is coming over for the summer! Along with Babe the splittin maul.

Gary

"Well??? pictures"

Can you hold yer britches? The stove isn't even here yet. It's now 8:37 am; delivery is noon to 4 today.

If the weatherman was wrong, and we don't get snow and freezing rain this afternoon, I'll stick some pipe on her and do a paint-curing fire outside, using the maple.

Stay tuned.

Nancy

Backwoods Savage said:
DAnged ornery women...

. . . and apparently very intelligent as well . . . she knows you too well Dennis. ;)

PopCrackleSnap said:
"Well??? pictures"

Can you hold yer britches? The stove isn't even here yet. It's now 8:37 am; delivery is noon to 4 today.

If the weatherman was wrong, and we don't get snow and freezing rain this afternoon, I'll stick some pipe on her and do a paint-curing fire outside, using the maple.

Stay tuned.

Nancy

OK pictures now?
Patience is over rated :)

Holy cow, Dave. It's going on 6 pm and the stove still isn't here. It's somewhere on its way...

"Fore!"

Nancy

Slow1 said:
Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I have met her... Somehow I suspect that if she thought it was necessary she'd give that saw away to keep him safe. A good wife there I'm sure.

And to think I could count on you to back me up Slow....

Status
Not open for further replies.