just when you think you've seen it all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryBack

Dec 27, 2005
Western Massachusetts
We had a service call today...a Harman P38, distribution fan wouldnt come on. Pretty easy fix, ESP probe failure most likely, covered under warrantee, customer installed the unit himself, no biggie. Went out there, and as we always do, we inspect the unit for maintenance or lack thereof, to better instruct the customer and save the inevitable service call because the stove is too dirty. The tech opens the front door, and looks into the ash bin from above...what does he see? He sees the little poker/scraper Harman includes with each stove still nestled in the ash bin. Hmmm.....the tech pulls out the ash bin. Any guesses what he finds? He finds the firebrick, which is intended to sit on a shelf behind the fire, with totally melted plastic still wrapped around it, as well as the flame guide, all still sitting nestled happily in the ash bin, which is exactly where they were when they were shipped! Im amazed that people can spend so much money on something with the potential to really mess their house up if used or installed correctly, and they dont even bother to take the time to read the instructions for installation and operation! :sick:

RTFM as we always say in the computer business....Applies to the stove bidness as well.

Damn DIYers. They all ought to be shot.

Corie said:
I agree.

Especially the ashholes that think they can even build their own stoves. Bunch of kooks.

Well, let me tell ya Corie. Between seeing your stove and the way this Englander is doing so far Dane Harmon needs to be thinking about taking the real estate license exam. You took a chance. I took a chance. They both be looking good right now.

I can't weld. Damnit!

You mean you are burning clean and liking it??!! :)

Perhaaaaaaaaaaps!

Actually, I was able to get clean burns with the cat combustor stove, but it was too much work and too complicated to run that old dutchwest for my parents. This is much easier, because there is only one level that has to be messed with and nothing to be engaged.

Did your tech check the hopper to see if the pellets were still neatly contained in the plastic bag?

no, but now youve got me thinking...I ought to check and see if he got an approved permit from the Building Inspector! I know, I know, they dont take any responsibility if they screw up, but Im just curious.....

BeGreen said:
You mean you are burning clean and liking it??!! :)

Not completely sold yet but at least it ain't cracked and registering 1,200 on the thermo.

Status
Not open for further replies.