Just Wondering About Clearances ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigil Igne

Apr 26, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
I don't write much on this forum as I am one to do a "search" first and then go over all the different responses. I do stop by at least twice a day as I love this stuff! I appreciate all you guys and gals that contribute here with all your wisdom!!! I guess I'm a bit on the shy side when it comes to posting. That being said, I saw this and just thought I would throw it out for any comments.

I was looking at a YouTube video on the PE Aldelea T6. Unfortunately, the audio is a different language - BUT - I was kinda amzed at the clearances. I'm sure they were fine but I'm wondering how smart it was to place wood splits all around the stove (inside the clearances). Kinda wierd for what looks like a store selling the product. I would have thought they would be a little more careful of their "presentation."

Clearance to combustibles are clearance to combustibles. That being said, I personally kept a ring of wood on either side of my stove, with the rear of the wood stacks 3 or 4 inches from the stove. I was a jacketed stove. The wood was coming in from outside. I would burn one ring, fill when empty and switch to burning wood from the other ring. Even with the stove stop at 750 degrees, that wood was never more than warm. I also knew that I would not have the wood sitting there for years to dry out to the point where 300 degree heat would ignite anything.

So, if it were me, as a manufacturer, I may not say it is ok to do, because in a world where you can sue for coffee being too hot, or for your toddler sticking his head in a 5 gallon bucket full of water....you always have to account for the stupid and greedy. Darwinism only takes care of one and I don't care to be involved in the other.

The clearances for the T6 are close and even that is conservative. It's a convective stove. The sides don't get much over 200F even after running all day long. Our current stove temp is 630F, sides are 202F in front side and 154 in the rear side. Wall temp for our corner install is 102F max. with the wall 7" away at the rear corners of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.