Just wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob186

Jul 3, 2012
New jersey
i see that most people have wood heat and something else I can see why but is it nessasary I want to just have a wood gasser is this a bad idea

i see that most people have wood heat and something else I can see why but is it nessasary I want to just have a wood gasser is this a bad idea

I have a gasser and that is the only thing I heat with, including my hot water. However, I was required to have an 'automatic' source of heat for backup to get my occupancy permit - so I had an oil furnace installed as well. It just sits there taking up space, though.

The cheapest option for backup heat for a wood boiler, if the backup is going to be rarely used, is an electric boiler - if your electric panel has the capacity. Also takes up the least space, is the cleanest install, no messing around with fuel oil tanks & their issues, and it doesn't need a chimney. Should be able to find one at a real good deal on Kijiji or Craigslist. The biggest issue with wood only is likely insurance company needing an aforesaid automatic heat source. The second option I'd consider is some electric baseboards. Existing situation will influence choices.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Usually if you have a loan on the house you are supposed to have an additional heat source. That being said I only have a couple electric heaters that never get used.

Status
Not open for further replies.