K to R conversion for hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio

Sep 30, 2008
eastern MA
The stove specifies the floor protection to be “2 layers of 3/8 inch millboard having a thermal conductivity K of less than or equal to 0.84 btu in/ft/sq. h. degrees F or the equivalent protection shall extend at least 16 inches in front and at least 8 inches to each side of the fuel loading door and beyond the back of the stove.” I found 2 different K to R conversions on this web site. One is R=(1/(Kx12))xThickness which would yield a total R=(1/(.84x12))x3/8=.074 The other is R=(1/K)xThickness which would yield R=(1/.84)(3/8)2=.893 . So which formula is correct? Does a 36"x36"x2" thick reinforced concrete block have enough R value to meet the requirements?

Thanks for your help

Sergio

I have only seen it as K=1/R which would seem to make sense because one is conductance, the other is resistance, so they should be inverse. Looks like those equations are trying to account for total K or total R by taking into account inches.

Most R figures I have seen for poured concrete are .08-.09 per inch, so 2" thick would be R .16 - .18 (or K = 1/.16 to 1/.18, so K= 5.55 - 6.25), which does not meet the specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.