kaowool safety; if it is in the chimney, behind insert................ is it a issue? Abestos is ok

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsie8

Hearth Supporter
1/2" PRODUCT SAFETY INFORMATION
CRYSTALLINE SILICA CONTAINING PRODUCT
(Quartz CAS #14808-60-7 And/Or Cristobalite CAS #14464-46-1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: This product contains a substance which has been identified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a known carcinogen to humans.

Avoid breathing particulates and dust.

RISKS:

Cancer hazard by inhalation.
May cause silicosis (lung disease) by inhalation.
May cause temporary irritation to eyes, skin and respiratory tract.
PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES:

Minimize airborne particulates and dust with engineering controls.
Wear NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator.
Wear long sleeved, loose-fitting clothing, eye protection and gloves.
Wash work clothing seperately and rinse washing machine after use.
FIRST AID MEASURES:

Eyes: Flush with water
Skin: Wash with soap and warm water
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention if gastrointestinal symptoms develop.
Inhalation: Remove to fresh clean air.

If any of the above irritations persist, seek medical attention immediately.

FOR ADDITIONAL PRODUCT INFORMATION AND WORK PRACTICES REFER TO THE MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (MSDS)

THERMAL CERAMICS
P.O. BOX 923 300, Augusta, GA, 30903, USA
800 722-5681

MSDS are available from the manufacture Thermal Ceramics or on-line from the manufacturer or anvilfire.com as PDF files.

I'd think that so long as the Kaowool isn't being disturbed by the blower then your probably fine. Can air from the convection chamber mix with the air behind the insert?

It's my understanding that Asbestos in the walls is ok for the most part because it's sealed in with paint. Its a problem when someone disturbes it by cutting into the wall.

Great question! Wonder how I find the answer out. Hampton HI1300 insert. Wonder if it draws air in from around the outside of the insert, inside the fireplace area................. Can anyone tell me?

The insert draws air from the room and blows it back into the room.

It's a bad idea to leave any insulation loose, anywhere. It must be sealed up. If you are going to put it inside your fireplace behind the insert you should overlay it with sheet metal and seal it in with refractory sealant. And honestly, the benefit of such a device is questionable. There are some folks who would suggest that if will increase the efficiency. Maybe. But I doubt the effort is worth the result.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.