Kaowool without the foil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
Any problem with using Kaowool without the foil when wrapping a liner?

What sort of materials from a Lowes or Home Depot are recommended for holding such a blanket onto a liner? Stainless wire?

I would use the product intended for the job. Rember over time that isulatuon has to stay on the pipee, wire might come undone. I posted this link so you can see what it looks like, not neccesarily recomending the online dealer. Armor mesh is cheap. Its a stainless steel weave that slips around the liner like a sock. worm gear clamps hold in at the top and bottme. Armor Mesh

Good point. I didn't realize the armor mesh was so inexpensive.

In an earlier post of yours, you mentioned that 1/2" provides zero clearance. I am going to be insulating a liner that will be installed inside a masonry chimney and found a place that sells the 1" for the same price as the 1/2". I suppose there won't be any advantage to the 1" since 1/2" does the job, huh?

MountainStoveGuy said:
I would use the product intended for the job. Rember over time that isulatuon has to stay on the pipee, wire might come undone. I posted this link so you can see what it looks like, not neccesarily recomending the online dealer. Armor mesh is cheap. Its a stainless steel weave that slips around the liner like a sock. worm gear clamps hold in at the top and bottme. Armor Mesh

That logic seems right, it might make you go to a larger armour mesh tube, which can increase the price by a small bit. I dont think you will see any difference with 1" vs 1/2" but the one inch cant hurt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.