Karma Wheel rolls around...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooderson

Dec 12, 2010
N TX
Wow, humbling experience today. Bought this place 14 months ago. Have an elderly widow across the alley. She is a go-getter! Up with the sun and working in the yard/ flower bed/ garden. I try to help out as needed.

This spring, she was talking about significantly downsizing the garden. Tiller has been broken, too hard anymore...So, I tilled the entire garden area for her. Today, I had a bag of squash on the back porch when I came in from work. Went to thank her and offered to trim up some trees as time allows.

Wanted to give me the 036 Pro she has had in storage since losing her husband. Fired up even with old gas on third or fourth pull. Shut it right down. Told her I wouldn't take it, but would buy it from her. She is hearing none of it. Says she knows that I take care of anything she needs.

Feeling mighty guilty, but will revisit the offer to purchase later in the week. We typically visit everyday as the wife, kids, and I are out in the back working or playing. Just hauled in 1.5 cord of red elm from the far end of the block also.

Does she have a fireplace? I'm thinking a cord of firewood for an 036 PRO would be a great price! Even if she only uses the fireplace for aesthetics.

no, The saw had been used at a lake cabin, but they no longer have the cabin.

Sometimes people just want to say "Thank You", and the nicest gift you can give them in return is to simply graciously accept it. She neither wants nor needs your money, she simply appreciates you as a neighbor/friend/helper and knows that you would appreciate owning this saw, that you know its value, and that you'll take care of it. She has no use for it, but she knows you do. She wants you to have it. Take it, and just keep on being the kind of person you are, that's all she wants. Stop trying to give her money for it...she believes you've already paid for it. Rick

Sometimes people just want to say "Thank You", and the nicest gift you can give them in return is to simply graciously accept it. She neither wants nor needs your money, she simply appreciates you as a neighbor/friend/helper and knows that you would appreciate owning this saw, that you know its value, and that you'll take care of it. She has no use for it, but she knows you do. She wants you to have it. Take it, and just keep on being the kind of person you are, that's all she wants. Stop trying to give her money for it...she believes you've already paid for it. Rick

I agree with Rick.... To live there 14 months (not a lot of time, in the grand scheme of things) and to have her want to give you the saw?? Speaks volumes, as to what you and your family mean to her.

Im sure she appreciates everything you. This is her way of showing that appreciation. Keep up the good work, neighbor.

Do you have a saw in this class (60-65cc Pro saw?)?? Thats an amazing machine.

I think she is extremely grateful to have such a good neighbor. As a senior citizen she may have concerns about how long she can live there alone. You may be able to help her stay longer and that may be very important to her and she is showing it. The saw might be a connection to her husband that she now wants you to have. Consider yourself lucky.:cool:

Wooderson, she is trying as best as she knows how to show you her appreciation. Take the saw. If she was a native American back in the day and tried to give you a gift, it would be a major insult to refuse it. I'm sure you already 'paid' for the saw many times over, but maybe a nice dinner at your place with your family would be icing on the cake. Sounds like you are blessed with a wonderful neighbor, consider yourself lucky.

She will feel good if you take the saw & she will feel it's an even trade for the things you do to help her.
She is not a "charity case" & wants to pay her way. The saw is one way she has to "pay her way".
Except the saw, you can always give it back down the road if circumstances make you feel you need to.
It's gonna set in storage & be unused, saws last longer if they get run now & then.
You are a good neighbor & have a good neighbor, both of you are lucky ;)

If you'll bear with me, I'll relate my personal experience, which might give you some insight into where she's at. After my wife died, I was left with tons of "stuff" for which I had no use, but was all too nice to simply donate or give away or sell to strangers. Spinning wheels, looms, sewing machines, recorders (the musical instrument kind), and much more. When she and I both understood that she was going to die, we talked about what should be the disposition of all these wonderful things. She gave me contact information for friends she had in the groups in which she participated. The underlying sentiment was that she wanted each of her things placed into the hands of someone who appreciates it, and knows how to use it (or wants to learn). I quite literally gave away many thousands of dollars worth of instruments, tools, equipment, furniture, fabrics, yarn, etc., etc., mostly to folks who had been among her many friends. I didn't need or want any money for any of it, I simply wanted to carry out my wife's wishes and feel good about what I had done with her things. Rick

If you'll bear with me, I'll relate my personal experience, which might give you some insight into where she's at. After my wife died, I was left with tons of "stuff" for which I had no use, but was all too nice to simply donate or give away or sell to strangers. Spinning wheels, looms, sewing machines, recorders (the musical instrument kind), and much more. When she and I both understood that she was going to die, we talked about what should be the disposition of all these wonderful things. She gave me contact information for friends she had in the groups in which she participated. The underlying sentiment was that she wanted each of her things placed into the hands of someone who appreciates it, and knows how to use it (or wants to learn). I quite literally gave away many thousands of dollars worth of instruments, tools, equipment, furniture, fabrics, yarn, etc., etc., mostly to folks who had been her friend. I didn't need or want any money for any of it, I simply wanted to carry out my wife's wishes and feel good about what I had done with her things. Rick
Rick, that's an awesome tribute to your wife. Its very moving to hear stories like that. You are a good man, my friend.

Lucky you. Take the saw, say thank you, and continue to be a good neighbor. Keep this in the back of your head for when the time comes that maybe you have some stuff that you can't use anymore, but you know somebody who can.

Please read or re-read the posts by fossil. I couldn't agree more. The lady is appreciating what you are doing to help and wants to help in return. I would highly advise against going back to try to buy that saw again. Be appreciative and thank her again but keep the saw and think of her every time you use it.

Rick and Dennis, Thank you both for sharing the opposite perspective. All I had thought of was the feeling of taking advantage of the situation. Great neighbor and we will keep on helping and visiting.

+whatever . . . I think this whole incident speaks volumes about both the woman AND you.

I am moved by all of the above opinions... I think it says a lot about the quality of this group and how much we learn from, and give back to, others.

I agree with Backwoods- keep the saw, BUT if an envelope with cash just happens to appear somewhere how should YOU know where it came from?

Take it for what it is. A gift. Say thank you and continue to keep an eye on her to see where you can help her out.

And one last thing. When an opportunity shows up in your future, think back to this and remember to pay her kindness forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.