Keep an eye on those stack temps!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob

Minister of Fire
This evening, I re-loaded the stove with 4 large splits of poplar onto a med. bed of coals.
Closed the door, turned up the draft and set the egg timer for 10 minutes. 8 minutes passes and I go check on the stove, even though the timer hasn't gone off yet.
Stack thermo showed about 250 degrees F when I re-loaded, stove top was about 350 F.

This is what I saw when I returned...

Attachments

• 8 minutes after re-loading!.JPG
    8 minutes after re-loading!.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 324
My apologies for the poor quality photo, but you get the idea. Stove top temp crept up to 500 in that time.
This happens every now and again. No big deal, it just goes to show how quick those temps can climb.

500 is a typical temp on my stove, since I have triple wall class a chimney, I have no idea how hot it is.

To keep mine on the cooler side, I installed an optional blower fan. No longer does it creep up in the 700 range.

Since the pic is so blurry, I should mention that the needle is pointing to what would be about 900 F, if the guage was marked that high.
It is probably benificial to briefly run those stack temps to keep the chimney clean.
BTW, I turned out the lights to look for glowing sections on the stovepipe, and didn't see any....:)

Jimbob said:
Since the pic is so blurry, I should mention that the needle is pointing to what would be about 900 F, if the guage was marked that high.
It is probably benificial to briefly run those stack temps to keep the chimney clean.
BTW, I turned out the lights to look for glowing sections on the stovepipe, and didn't see any....:)

well, 900 is a different story. good idea turning out the lights and checking things out.

I would think you have a very clean chimney now.

The baffle has to be pristine. Well, except for the belly sag. :)

BrotherBart said:
The baffle has to be pristine. Well, except for the belly sag. :)

Oddly, the baffle wasn't that hot, it wasn't even glowing yet. It's hotter now that I've turned it down.
The baffle on ours sags about 3/16"....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.