Keep missing scrounges!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Earlier this week I missed a CL post for free wood :mad:. I work where the wood was and happened to drive by when the others were looking for it too. Then yesterday I had a friend post on facebook that she had a tree come down and needed it gone since they were moving soon >:-( . I hope I get better as time goes on. :-S

You'll be OK. Wont be long before 3-4 ads seem to appear all at once then its deciding if you can have room for it all.Just be patient & you'll be rewarded.

Hang in there but be pro-active. Place an add yourself.

I tell people all the time to get in touch with your local tree company, If your reliable and show up to get the wood and take all of it they will provide you with wood all the time. When some one comes to my job site and asks me for firewood I'll tell them they have to take it TODAY and take it all. If they do it I get their phone number and call them if I have wood.

Contacting tree companies is worth a shot, but around here it seems they either burn wood too or they sell firewood on the side. Place your own CL and look to see if you have a local Freecycle chapter...both are free to use. I even set up an RSS feed on my Yahoo homepage hoping not to miss anything listed on CL. I normally get about 3+ cords/year from these sources...hoping to get more this year as now I have the space and have a bit more of a thought out approach to bringing home & splitting/stacking the wood.

One thing with the tree companies is that softwood is a real burden to them. Some homeowners will keep hardwood, or the tree company can sell it or burn it, but they likely pay to dump softwoods. Help them out by taking some pine or poplar.

RNLA said:
I tell people all the time to get in touch with your local tree company, If your reliable and show up to get the wood and take all of it they will provide you with wood all the time. When some one comes to my job site and asks me for firewood I'll tell them they have to take it TODAY and take it all. If they do it I get their phone number and call them if I have wood.
im currently trying to make a contact like this. starting a firewood business. wish you lived closer lol

Free wood is like waiting for taxis, you wait ages and nothing happens, then several come along all at once ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.