Keep the bark?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tradergordo said:
BrotherBart said:
I haul it all back into the woods. The crap is too smoky for my tastes. I keep all of the splitter debris for kindling but the bark goes back home to fertilize more trees.

My thoughts exactly. Too smokey to burn unless you have no neighbors. I use it almost like mulch, to keep the weeds from growing under or around my stacked wood (I always put down a layer of bark first before adding pallets, and stacking the wood.

It does produce a lot of smoke. Was a no-no in my old boiler for that reason. Now with the gasifier, smoke is fuel, so the more the merrier. You get a lot of it if you're working with thicker-bark species like oak, walnut and maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.