Keep those coals in a closed container

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
I was doing my daily chore of removing some ashes out of my stove this morning. I have the "Ashtrap" to take the ashes outside. I shovel the ashes ( and coals ) into it and take it outside to a metal bucket. I made one trip outside and my shoes got ice and snow on them, thus dragging the ice into the house. On my second trip out, the Ashtrap was about half full ( and closed ) and I slipped on the wet area of the floor. I went down, the Ashtrap hit the floor, but did not spill any hot coals. Even if I had used a bucket with a lid on it, ( That didnt lock ) coals would have spilled out onto the vinyl floor.
Something to think about if you don't use a closed tight container to take the hot coals outside. Also, WATCH FOR THOSE WET SPOTS!

This just goes to show that one needs to be careful at each step of the wood burning process. It starts with felling the tree, then cutting it up right up to burning the wood and then handling the ashes.

Still, don't take out the coals if at all possible. There is still heat there.

Use those hot coals to start your next burn cycle.
Never discard coals, only the ash.

Does your stove have an ash collection bin/tray below
the firebox? Otherwise, try an ash shovel with holes in
it to seperate the keeper coals from the ash.

Why would you need to clean out the stove every day? I can usually go a week between cleanings and that's burning steady. I don't know how much the ashtrap can carry but I'm surprised to need to do more than one trip when cleaning out the stove every day. You must be throwing out a lot of coals along with the ashes.

LLigetfa said:
Why would you need to clean out the stove every day? I can usually go a week between cleanings and that's burning steady. I don't know how much the ashtrap can carry but I'm surprised to need to do more than one trip when cleaning out the stove every day. You must be throwing out a lot of coals along with the ashes.

I dont clean out the stove everyday. I do remove some ashes everyday and since the fire is still going, there are going to be hot embers and coals. The Ashtrap I have ( to remove the ashes ) doesnt hold that much. Usually only takes one trip. I dont have an ash pan on my stove.
If I dont remove some of the ashes every day to make room, I get way too many coals. I've tried everything listed on this forum to keep from having so many coals and I still have them. I feel my stove is sized right for my house because the temps dont get down below 20 or so more than 2- 3 weeks through out the winter. Through the majority of the winter its fine to have the coals because I dont need the stove blazing to keep the house warm. But when it gets 15 outside or lower it takes so long to burn down the coals, my heating unit is kicking on. There is no room for wood.
The wood I'm using is Oak, Hickory, Elm and Maple. The Oak and Hickry is only 1 year seasoned but its all I've got, so I know thats part of the problem with the coal build up, but we do with what we got.
I've heard others on here mention they take some ashes out everday.

westkywood said:
I was doing my daily chore of removing some ashes out of my stove this morning. I have the "Ashtrap" to take the ashes outside. I shovel the ashes ( and coals ) into it and take it outside to a metal bucket. I made one trip outside and my shoes got ice and snow on them, thus dragging the ice into the house. On my second trip out, the Ashtrap was about half full ( and closed ) and I slipped on the wet area of the floor. I went down, the Ashtrap hit the floor, but did not spill any hot coals. Even if I had used a bucket with a lid on it, ( That didnt lock ) coals would have spilled out onto the vinyl floor.
Something to think about if you don't use a closed tight container to take the hot coals outside. Also, WATCH FOR THOSE WET SPOTS!

I'm glad you're fine, the pail I use to take out ashes would only take one trip.

Zap

Valhalla said:
Use those hot coals to start your next burn cycle.
Never discard coals, only the ash.

Does your stove have an ash collection bin/tray below
the firebox? Otherwise, try an ash shovel with holes in
it to seperate the keeper coals from the ash.

I do need to get an ash shovel for sure. I'm not throwing out big coals, just ashes with embers and small coals. Plenty hot enough to burn or damage a floor.

In the past I made a coal separating shovel out of a tin coal
shovel. Drilled a few dozen holes in it of various sizes. One could
be easily made by using decent gauge steel grid.

Some are on the market, but it is easy to make a custom one.
Keep those hot coals. Sometimes, I can go a few weeks without
using a match.

Most important, stay warm and heat safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.