Keep wood dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
We're expecting 10" of rain and 50-70 mph winds with this storm coming our way.Trying to figure the best way to keep my wood covered.

If you have enough space in a three season or garage I would just load up a week or two of wood and let the rest get wet. It won't hurt it and it will dry quicker than you think it would.

Of course this is all coming from a "non covering of wood stacks" guy.....

If you have enough space in a three season or garage I would just load up a week or two of wood and let the rest get wet. It won't hurt it and it will dry quicker than you think it would.

Of course this is all coming from a "non covering of wood stacks" guy.....
Ya I'll bring into the cellar some wood to get me through and then look for sunny days after the storm.

I agree with the other guys. Bring in enough to get you by for a week or so til the storm is gone. Stash it in the garage, covered porch, or under the eaves of the house with a tarp over it. Don't worry about the rest. It will soon dry.

you can bring it to my house and store it in my garage....:). it will dry. just bring some inside if you're currently burning or you don't have a shed to put it in. hopefully, the storm will pass without bringing too much damage with it. depending on where it comes ashore, and how much of a left turn it makes, we could be seeing a bit of rain here on the western shore of the chesapeake. luckily, i have a shed.........and still have lots more to buck up and stack for next year.

cass

if anyone has any seasoned pine for this year...get it under COVER. my pine is bone dry and absorbs water like a sponge. i'm gonna bring some more into the basement but the 1/2 cord or so i still have outdoors is going to get covered.

I'd cover any dry wood if I could.
I know it'll dry fast after a rain "IF" you get good weather. Might be a week of bad, wet & cooler weather.
Uncover dry wood & it's still dry, not covered with 3 to 4 days of rain, wood will be wet for a while.

Problem with tarps will be several days of wind. Any weak tie down will be "exposed"
Good to have some inside of some shelter to use during & right after .

Good luck, tighten your hat band ;)

I know that tarps can wind up being a PIA, but I am going with this set up til I get a wood shed. Cheap poly tarps, a handful of drywall screws and some stout polytwine. So far so good. We have had some pretty strong winds and they seem to stay put. DSCF3504.JPG
Take care,
Tim

I know that tarps can wind up being a PIA, but I am going with this set up til I get a wood shed. Cheap poly tarps, a handful of drywall screws and some stout polytwine. So far so good. We have had some pretty strong winds and they seem to stay put.View attachment 78887
Take care,
Tim

That's some sweet covering - nice job! Your stacks look awesome.

I have a pretty big three season porch, so I keep about a cord or so in there. It gives me the flexibility to wait out a few weeks of bad weather. If someone doesn't have that, or a wood shed, I can see the benefits to covering.

Thankfully that's one step that I can avoid :)

I know that tarps can wind up being a PIA, but I am going with this set up til I get a wood shed. Cheap poly tarps, a handful of drywall screws and some stout polytwine. So far so good. We have had some pretty strong winds and they seem to stay put.View attachment 78887
Take care,
Tim
I like your set up.

every little bit helps even if it is a pia in the long run

every little bit helps even if it is a pia in the long run

Now, if something is a PITA in the short run, I can live with that. However, if it is a PITA in the long run, there just has got to be a better way. Me, I brought in a week or more worth of wood to ride out Sandy (i.e., this is my first year using the wood burning furnace, so really no idea what a week's worth of wood is). The rest of my stacks are uncovered. Several are under the deck, but several are out in the open. Pretty sure there has to be some sunny days in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise, we are going to have some much bigger problems.

Reactions: Gasifier
Take care,
Tim
Tim, those tarps are perfect for wood stacked on pallets, where can I buy some?

Week's worth of wood in the basement, several more under the deck, rest is getting wet but will dry eventually.

Two face cords in the garage all ash, the rest of the stacks are covered with galvanized steel roofing panels.

I have a week's firewood on the porch and the rest is getting wet. If this storm lasts longer than a week I'll have to go out in the rain. Actually I don't think I can take another day sitting inside, so rain or no rain I'll be out running the trails tomorrow. Is Day 1 too soon to have cabin fever?

I have a week's firewood on the porch and the rest is getting wet. If this storm lasts longer than a week I'll have to go out in the rain. Actually I don't think I can take another day sitting inside, so rain or no rain I'll be out running the trails tomorrow. Is Day 1 too soon to have cabin fever?
I feel the same way. I have ants in my pants, I can't stay still. How is it by you with the storm

Take care,
Tim

jesus those are some nice square stacks!

I think if you do it right tarps will work well. I know its probably a little too late now to chime in, the storm is well underway. But in my case I don't have a place to store dried wood for the current season. I tarp the entire stack and turn into a bungee junkie with tieing it down. The winds are howling and so far my tarps are hanging in there!

Tim, those tarps are perfect for wood stacked on pallets, where can I buy some?
weatherguy,
3'X18' Polytarp for$4.69. The way I figure it, if they make it thru 1 or 2 seasons it's all good. Not my long term plan, but I needed something for right now.
http://www.coversuperstore.com/
Take care,
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.