keeping an eye out for a quad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
Howdy!
I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist for used quads. I see a bunch, but I think prices will go down after deer season and Christmas.

One thing I can't tell from most of the pics in the ads... which ones have a hitch point to connect a utility trailer? I see that some have solid rear axles and no place to attach a trailer. Are there some that always have a hitch point?

I like the stout beefy style of the Polaris sportsman.

I'll be using it as a utility vehicle for yard work and moving firewood. Maybe some joyrides around the farm fields in the area, or running down the road to a neighbor's house.

Any models I should be looking at or any to avoid?

-SF

Most atvs have a place to mount a ball, others have 2" hitch receivers (like a truck). If it has neither, then one is easily available on the aftermarket.

If it is primarily going to be a work machine, you'll want 4x4 and 400cc or larger engine which is just about any utility atv. Selectable 4wd and a low range are very nice options too, but not a must have IMO.

As for makes, honda, yamaha, and polaris are my favorties, in that order. Kawasaki, suzuki, and artic cat are good machines. Don't know much about can am.

I got mine from CL...just have to be patient and check often...the good deals usually don't last long.

If Ohio is anything like Maine what we see are folks this time of year are using their ATVs . . . but when there is snow on the ground they will attempt to sell them to get a sled . . . and then in the Spring they'll attempt to sell the sled for an ATV . . . in a vicious cycle . . . but that's OK . . . if you can find a deal.

Hitch . . . most ATVs have hitchs . . . or at least most utility ATVs have hitchs. The racing quads might not . . . and if memory serves me correctly the first generation Honda Rincon for some odd reason came through without a standard hitch which is odd since this is almost always a standard feature on the utility quads.

Solid rear axle . . . I actually like this feature when the ATV is being used for work . . . not such a nice feature for ride comfort though if you're doing a lot of trail work. Whether it has a solid rear axle or independent rear suspension will not make a difference as to whether there is a hitch or not.

Nice features to have . . . as Lukem said . . . 4WD is nice . . . as is selectable 4WD . . . some folks use 300 cc machines, but I tend to favor 450cc and up ATVs for work.

There aren't too many ATVs I would say to avoid . . . 3-wheelers . . . perhaps some of the older Polaris ATVs that were chain driven . . . but otherwise most are prety decent.

I personally like Hondas . . . they can be a little more pricey and honestly they tend to be lacking in the features department . . . i.e. it wasn't until recently that they started using disc brakes and many other brands have some nice options and features . . . but the one things Hondas are are near bullet-proof and for me reliability is the most important thing. Hondas excel as work machines . . . as play toys . . . there are better riding machines honestly.

If I was to buy a new or used ATV today I would consider the Honda Foreman or Rubicon, Yamaha Grizzly or Can-Am line up . . .

Should be the right time of the year to buy at least.

The side x sides/UTVs are catching on pretty good around here. They seem to be a much better configuration for work duty, with dump boxes, passenger seat, etc. They do cost more than an ATV though - so if you are restricting your search to an ATV, there is a UTV 'side effect' of more used ATVs being sold by people that are moving to UTVs. There are all kinds of used ATVs for sale around here for that reason - I don't think there has been a better time to buy one.

I'd definitely go 4x4, other than that just watch for a good deal with features like a hitch, winch, good racks, maybe add ons like cargo boxes, windshields, and passenger seats- they're out there.

Just for fun I checked the Craiglist site in the area near Columbus . . . lots of youth ATVs and sport ATVs.

There were a few options though . . . one really good deal looked too good . . . a 2008??? that supposedly someone had only ridden something like 40 hours and yet they had a trailer and plow with it . . . that ad looked a little suspicious to me.

For $5,000-$6,000 there are several excellent options . . . a Can Am Outlander 400 (November 26), a 2008 Foreman (November 3) and my favorite of the bunch a 2007 Rubicon for $5550.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/2716914938.html

If your budget is smaller and you're willing to go down a bit in size I spotted a Honda Rancher for $3,700 and a Sukuki Eiger 400 with a trailer for $3,800.

Of course you would want to check out these ATVs in person . . . and definitely work to see if you can get a better deal.

lukem said:
firefighterjake said:
my favorite of the bunch a 2007 Rubicon for $5550.

I think you could do a lot better on the Rubi. Mine was a year older, but only had 67 hours (versus 300) and lots of extras for $4k. Prices may vary by area though...

Most of the prices for some reason seemed on the high side . . . on both this ATV and others . . . not sure if it is due to the location or if folks are just hoping they can pick up some extra cash to buy a sled or go shopping for Christmas gifts.

And to be honest Lukem . . . I think you got a very, very, very good deal.

firefighterjake said:
lukem said:
firefighterjake said:

I think you could do a lot better on the Rubi. Mine was a year older, but only had 67 hours (versus 300) and lots of extras for $4k. Prices may vary by area though...

Most of the prices for some reason seemed on the high side . . . on both this ATV and others . . . not sure if it is due to the location or if folks are just hoping they can pick up some extra cash to buy a sled or go shopping for Christmas gifts.

Yeah, after Christmas might be better....that's when the credit card bill needs paid....

If they are that high in New England, it could be worth driving to pick one up a little further south.

lukem said:
firefighterjake said:
lukem said:
firefighterjake said:

Yeah, after Christmas might be better....that's when the credit card bill needs paid....

If they are that high in New England, it could be worth driving to pick one up a little further south.

I was looking at the Craigslist in Ohio . . . but you're right . . . maybe after some snow comes down and the credit card bills come in some folks may be even more motivated to sell their ATV.

I purchased a sportsman 550 efi this past Summer off of craigslist for the same uses your figuring on and it's performed excellently. They seem to be a bit more approachable in terms of cost, and I liked their history of utility use, simplicity and easily accessible and repaired drive system. I've used many Honda products in my trade and own their 5000 watt generator and 11 hp tracked snow thrower and can say that they probably manufacture the most reliable and efficient engines, but their parts can be pretty high priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.