Keeping infested ash onsite for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Hi folks,

The neighbors are having 4-5 very large infested ash brought down. They are a total loss and it's heartbreaking. But now that we're here (evil grin), is there any additional risk to keeping the spoils onsite for firewood? Part of me thinks that yes, of course its going to increase exposure as there are more insects to migrate, but then another part of me says that insects don't have any problems reproducing.

I'm in a quandary, and I can hear the saws running. (Had no idea they were coming this soon).

Thoughts?

I believe that the borer likes live trees. Once they are dead they move on. Also, if your neighbor's trees are infected, so are other trees in the area. It's only a matter of time before the rest die.

Reactions: TreePointer
Here is a link to a study of emerald ash borers living in firewood.

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/firewood.pdf

Their emergance rate was significantly reduced by cutting trees in early summer and quickly stacking the wood in the sun.

Having the dead wood around will not attract more borers, they need live trees during part of their life cycle, only the ones already living in the wood may emerge.

It seems that you would actually be helping reduce the number of borers by drying out this wood if the alternative is to truck it to a dump.

I would consider it my civic duty to go scrounge this firewood.

But please don't take it on a camping trip or let others do so, the borers are not here yet.

Reactions: Applesister
Keep that wood local (no transport) and you are doing no harm by turning it into stove chow.

No loss, the ash trees are heating your family home. Loss of the life of the ash but it's a natural resource. Feel better?==c

Status
Not open for further replies.