Q&A Keeping insects out of wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello. I am trying to find out if there are any safe ways to keep bugs out of my stacked wood piles. I was stacking some wood and came across a piece that was totally infested with some kind of ant. I put it aside and sprayed it with a bug killer then discarded it. Is there anything that can be done to discourage bugs from setting up house in your wood piles. Another question. Is it OK to leave my wood uncovered during the warmer months and cover it around fall.(to help it dry out?) Im not sure if this is the correct address to be sending questions. If not, Could you please let me know where to send them in the future. Thanks for help. GREAT SITE!!! Bob Koval

Answer:

Bob, I don't know of a sure-fire way to keep ants or other little critters away from your wood during this time of year, but there are ways to discourage the little buggers. Typically, I would place 2x4's or 4x4's as rails underneath the stacked pile to get the wood off the ground, and encourage air flow. If you were to treat these rails of wood with a pesticide, as well as the area around the rails, that may discourage them from traveling to the pile itself.

Once the weather turns cold, the bugs will either die or go dormant in the wood, so be careful to not bring to much wood into the house during the winter prior to burning.

Covering is not necessary as you want as much air flow as possible. Take the top row, and turn the pieces so that the bark is facing the sky------that helps keep water from seeping.

The key to drying wood is to promote air flow------split the wood, and stack to encourage air flow. Leaving wood in a pile will not allow all pieces to dry, and will damage wood that's in direct contact with the soil. Elevating the wood pile will help.

Link: <a href="http://www.pwsteel.com/petro_wire_cloth.html"><b>Wire Cloth</b></a> Screening, Wire Mesh and more for chimney caps, insect screens and more</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.