Keeping it Dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. It was a tough decision to burn wood, as I'm loseing space in my garage in order to put the boiler in there. So that will really affect how I restore the wagon and other rigs.

Painting of the rigs will have to wait untill the non heating season.

But the freedom from large oil bills will help soften the blow.;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hey, another old Willys fan putting the dog to work. I LOVE it. Mine is not very pretty:
jeep_sm2.jpg

...and don't think I am gonna let "distillery" slide by either. More info please.==c

Reactions: smokinj and Ashful
Hey, another old Willys fan putting the dog to work. I LOVE it. Mine is not very pretty:
View attachment 73602

...and don't think I am gonna let "distillery" slide by either. More info please.==c

Love the old FC. I've been looking for one for years.

I work for the Canadian Coast Guard full time, but am a partner in a small distillery that we started up in 2006.
We were the first on PEI, and only one to make legal Shine in Canada.

We are @ www.straitshine.com if you have some time.

Time for a trip to Anne's Land?

Reactions: Jags
Come up next summer, I'll take you through the distillery. Keep in mind it is small, but we like it that way!

You know . . . I just may take you up on that offer . . . I've been wanting to go back up . . . do some geocaching, hang out on beaches where you can actually swim in the water, etc.

Beautiful Willys !!!

I assume you are talking about the OP's. Mine is down right ugly (my endearing term for it is "the worlds ugliest vehicle").

I assume you are talking about the OP's. Mine is down right ugly (my endearing term for it is "the worlds ugliest vehicle").

Its in the eye of the beholder! Awesome ride.........

My wife says the FC's are the Cabbage Patch Kids of Trucks!

Reactions: Jags
I've always wondered if it was worth covering the wood, and the rain we've had lately makes me wonder even more.
We had never covered our wood when i was growing up, but have heard it is worth doing.

We have had a little over 200mm (8") since Sept 5th. Oct is traditionally when we get our heavy rains, so who knows what that will bring.

The blocks on top of the plastic have gone from 20% to 22-26% on the MM. The splits seem to have soaked up more than the rounds. Would that be due to the fact they have more open grain?

This has me wondering if the rest of the pile would have done the same, or have these blocks just soaked up more because they are having water pounding on them, and flowing by them as water passes across the plastic wrap?:confused:

Maybe I should just not worry about it and let the wood be, but I'd like to know for next years wood.

I've always said that wood is not a sponge (unless it is punky). Lots of folks never cover their wood and we've done the same several times. In fact, I have some wood now that is 2 years in the stack and has not been covered. Did it just for the heck of it as it has been many, many moons since we've done so.

btw, if a wood pile is where lots of water hits it, like sitting under an eave, then it will get too wet for sure.

For the heavy rain areas, it certainly does make sense to top cover the wood before the fall rains hit. We haven't had that much rain so far in September but August was really wet. Didn't hurt the wood at all.

Great pictures.
Nice setup.

A fellow islander! I keep meaning to head up for a tour of your distillery, the hobby has interested me for years, to bad it is illegal for us to distill our own spirits but we can make our own beer and wine..... :(

Since when did the law stop Islanders from making thier own spirits??
We've been doing it forever.;)

Jags, I like those old cabovers. So ugly they are COOL! Good view of what your plowing fershure!
I've only been to PEI once since they built the bridge.....

TS

I just came in from checking the wood on top of the piles again. The splits are dropping again. They are down to 23%, the rounds are taking a little longer to come back down. So I guess the statement. that wood is not a sponge is correct. It will take some moisture when dry, but will also dry out again very quickly.

It is time to put the moisture meter away, and focus on getting the boiler in and tied into the the solar, and oil back up.

We have had another 4" of rain in the last 7 days. On our way to record rain for Sept.
I'm so glad I covered the pile. Some people say it doesn't matter, but it just makes me feel better when I look out during one of the down pours and the pile is still dry.

Enviornment Canada just released the rain fall totals for September.
It smashed the record held since the late 1800's.

386mm (15.2") fell on the wood pile in 30 days. So glad it was covered.
The scary part is that Oct is when we usually get the big rains

Status
Not open for further replies.