Keeping the glass clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Ok bear with the Newbie Pellet Burner. I know this question has probably been asked before. When I was running my Regency air tights, keeping the glass clean was not a problem due to good air wash systems on them. Since I have been running my Pelpro insert, daily cleaning of the glass looks like it will be a necessity. My question is this. Is there anything that you can put on the glass to help make the clean up easier i.e. like putting saliva on a diving mask to keep it from fogging up. Know that sounds crazy, but I will ask anyway. Thanks

I have read on here some of the rutland cleaning paste stuff buffs the glass up so it cleans easier the next time.

Interesting question actually. I will be interested in what you find. The only thing I have noticed is as you burn a higher quality pellet, the glass stays cleaner. Also, more draft(more air+more oxygen in the burn) should keep the glass cleaner.

Mark :)

I am not aware of anything you can put on the glass to keep it from getting dirty so I can't offer any specific ideas on that.

BUT

Make sure your chimney stack is clean and you've got good exhaust air flow. If the stack gets plugged up, you get inefficient burns and more smoke. Last winter, the screen on my chimney had some crud blocking it and I got tons of smoke and black glass in less than a few hours. Knocked the crap of the vent exit and almost no smoke.

For cleaning - best tip ever - get some newspaper, crumple it up a bit, wet it down, dip the damp paper into some of your waste ash and start cleaning. That stuff is like magic. It's a bit messy (make sure you have something on your floor before you start and you'll want to wear gloves), but man, it takes everything off the glass. Then just wipe up with a clean rag/paper towel and you're all done.

Thanks lads, I have to do a clean up this evening so I'll give the newspaper trick a try.............

A magic eraser works for cleaning the glass. First use a damp paper towel to remove the majority of the build up and then go over it with the magic eraser. It can't get any easier than that!

"White Off" a cleaning cream made by "Rutland" for cleaning glass doors, ceramic cooktops, and fiberglass showers, etc.
does a nice job cleaning and leaves the glass with a slippery coating that helps minimize build up on the doors.

Was recommended by the stove installers.

I like clean doors so tend to give a quick glass cleaning when I do the 5 minute daily vacuum with the hot ash vac.

I have not seen Rutland products here in Ontario. I am @ a disadvantage in this area because there are not alot of suppliers who are into pellet stoves and accessories, so
I am sort of feeling my way into this, learning as I go. This forum has been alot of help so far and is most appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.