Keeping warm in the snow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
Here in western NC we ended up getting 13 inches of snow on Friday! The big Jotul F600 is keeping us toasty, especially the cats! Tar Heel soaks up the heat out front while Snowpea sometimes likes to lie behind the stove inside the fireplace where it is particularly comfortable on a cold day.
IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brave cat, after 5 years mine finally figured it out. When she hears the blower she comes sauntering in, no blower and she gives me the look. Nice place Nick, I like that shed you have going there.

Reactions: Seanm
Thanks jatoxico,
The shed runs 32 feet and I can stack three rows deep in it. You can't tell from the photo, but there is a retainer wall behind the woodpile that stops about 18 inches below the roof at the back. The exposed front of the shed faces south, so I get quite a lot of sun on it. Three years under the shed roof and my oak is well seasoned.

Very nice looking setup you have. Love the decks and stairs coming down.

Lovely place, Nick - and canny cats too!

Glad you're doing OK.. Hope everyone over there in the snow is coping - we're thinking of you over here! Mad weather here too, but in the other direction - currently its 55::F here!

I'm forever amazed at how much heat my cats can soak up from the stove. Temps that drive me away in 5 minutes find them fully stretched out and quite asleep.

Beautiful place you have there!

PJ
Our little cat will curl up on the bluestone pad directly under the jotul 602.

Nice setup. My to labs will sleep in front of my Oslo all day stove temps can be over 500 and they are practically fighting over the rug out front of it for the best sleeping spot. I stand in front of it for ten min and I'm burning up. What a life to have in the winter.

I posted this in another thread but...

Image-909870347.jpg

I'll venture to guess that the cat under the stove runs a little warmer.

My grandmother had a cocker spaniel that would go underneath the woodstove until he was so hot it almost hurt to touch him. Never understood how that was a good idea, but he seemed to enjoy it.

Reactions: Seanm
I did not realize the Jotul F600 was a "cat stove", I thought it just had burn tubes...:) ;) ;) :)

Great pics! Beautiful setup!

Hey Felix5513,
We're in Marion, which is about 35 miles east of Asheville. I see you are just barely staying in our state out where you are!

Hey NC guys..I'm over in Burnsville, NC, so as a crow flies, we are neighbors. Here though a lot of folks say "you-ins" instead of "yuns."
Nice set-up and "cat stove," by the way.

Send some of that white stuff north, not much in New England yet.
Will provide excellent ale for delivery. :cool:

Here in western NC we ended up getting 13 inches of snow on Friday! The big Jotul F600 is keeping us toasty, especially the cats! Tar Heel soaks up the heat out front while Snowpea sometimes likes to lie behind the stove inside the fireplace where it is particularly comfortable on a cold day.
View attachment 173043 View attachment 173044 View attachment 173045 View attachment 173046 View attachment 173047 View attachment 173048
What an awesome set up:cool:........13 inches of snw, eh.....maybe rethink my NC retirement plan:oops:

Send some of that white stuff north, not much in New England yet.
Will provide excellent ale for delivery. :cool:

Let me see if I understand your offer. If I shovel the snow off of my driveway into a truck and drive it to your house, you will take the snow AND give me ale??

You're gonna have a traffic jam in your driveway! ;)

Reactions: DUMF
View attachment 173043 View attachment 173044 View attachment 173045 View attachment 173046 View attachment 173047 View attachment 173048
Great-looking set up! How long of burn times do you get on the f600?

Let me see if I understand your offer. If I shovel the snow off of my driveway into a truck and drive it to your house, you will take the snow AND give me ale??

You're gonna have a traffic jam in your driveway! ;)

Too late, and no pickups, only full 4 cord volume dump trucks. Besides in rural N.E. ain't no "driveways"....dirt roads.::-)

Blackjack Dan,
I burn mostly 2 - 3 year old seasoned oak. If I load the F600 up about 80% full I'll get about five hours of solid heat out of it. At which time there will still be a good coal bed that will allow a reload with no kindling needed and the stove will be around 300F. I don't burn the stove as hot as a lot of members talk about with their stoves. The manufacturer calls for placing the thermometer on one of the top corners. With that placement I usually cruise the stove at 400F - 450F. That might sound like a cool burning temperature, but at 400F on a corner the stove is reading over 650F on the top center.

Reactions: Blackjack Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.