Keeping your gear in good repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaddyUser

Nov 28, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi folks,

I thought that I'd share a story with you. I dropped by my local chainsaw dealer to pick up a few things, and he was telling me this story:

A fellow dropped by the dealership the other day looking for some parts for the safety brake on the saw. They priced them up, and they came to around $80. 'No $#$%% way' the fellow said. Well, the parts guy is also a volunteer firefighter / first responder. The next evening, the parts guy / firefighter was called out to an incident involving a chainsaw.

Guess what? The fellow that was in the previous day was injured due to kickback of the saw. According to what I was told, the fellow's hand was cut up badly, but is lucky enough that it is 'only' stitches and healing time.

I know we are a good group for promoting PPE, proper use, and proper maintenance of our equipment, but I thought I'd share the story as another reminder to everyone.

Cheers!

Yep it happens a lot to save 80.00 bucks will cost him 1000.00's and pain!

CaddyUser said:
Hi folks,

I thought that I'd share a story with you. I dropped by my local chainsaw dealer to pick up a few things, and he was telling me this story:

A fellow dropped by the dealership the other day looking for some parts for the safety brake on the saw. They priced them up, and they came to around $80. 'No $#$%% way' the fellow said. Well, the parts guy is also a volunteer firefighter / first responder. The next evening, the parts guy / firefighter was called out to an incident involving a chainsaw.

Guess what? The fellow that was in the previous day was injured due to kickback of the saw. According to what I was told, the fellow's hand was cut up badly, but is lucky enough that it is 'only' stitches and healing time.

I know we are a good group for promoting PPE, proper use, and proper maintenance of our equipment, but I thought I'd share the story as another reminder to everyone.

Cheers!

I am trying to imagine how a guy can cut his hand on kick back from a saw with a broken chain brake . Just cant picture it someone help me out please.

I'm guessing that his left hand slipped off during the kickback, and came in contact with the top of the bar. Not sure what the parts that were broken in the first place, perhaps it was the chain brake lever itself.....

From what I heard as a kid harvesting timber in the '80's: Some folks kind of panick when the bar kicks back tward their face andtry to swat the bar away with their left hand... I've also heard of folks reaching out too far in front, jambing the bar tip and having it pretty well swap ends in what was described as 'less than heartbeat'...

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.