Kentucky--no permit required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
When I lived in Lexington, KY I built a new hearth around an existing fireplace in my house and installed a woodstove and liner and didn't have a permit or inspection of any sort. However, I tried to get one by contacting the city building inspector's office as well as the fire department, but I was told by both places that no inspection was required. Now I am in Ashland, KY and contacted the local building inspector's office at the county clerks, and again I was told a permit was not required. From lurking around this site for the past few years and doing research on my own, I feel confident to do another install by myself. I guess I am more and more surprised, however, that I am not required to get a permit. Just thought I'd post this as I find it interesting how requirements seem to vary based on what I have read on this board... Do permit requirements vary county to county, or is it state to state?

I checked and Ky subscribes to the International codes, Which requires permits and inspections. However lazyness and apathy prevailed. Can't be bothered you did your part you should have gotten it doccumented incase the insurance companies required it. yo Fortunately you followed this forum and got the education and knowledge to do it safely and to do it right. good luck

well in my neck of the woods.When i called about my first coal stove i was told i was grandfathered in due to the following reasons
1 there was a chimney already installed when the house was built second there was an old wood or coal stove that was already in the basement even thou it wasn't used in many many years
I would only require a permit if i had to install a chimney and there wasn't a solid fuel burning device in the house prior to that
And when i called my insurance carrier since i was installing a coal stove no inspection was necc..Now if i was installing a wood stove the insurance carrier said that was a whole different story

What about in this new house with the installation that I will be doing? Is there some way I can get a copy of whatever you referrenced to take to the county clerks with me? While the inspection probably wouldn't be a sound one, it would still be nice to have documented that I went through the proper channels....

elkimmeg said:
I checked and Ky subscribes to the International codes, Which requires permits and inspections. However lazyness and apathy prevailed. Can't be bothered you did your part you should have gotten it doccumented incase the insurance companies required it. yo Fortunately you followed this forum and got the education and knowledge to do it safely and to do it right. good luck

"No permit required".

Same deal for me here in rural Ohio.

Do it right, and don't be afraid to ask for help from your stove dealer or here at Hearth net. These guys really know their stuff.

Before installing my stove in 2003, I called the City of Little Rock (building codes) as well as the Fire Department. Both said that as long as I follow the manufacturers' (stove and chimney) guidelines, I would be okay--no permits or inspections required. On a sort of humorous note, I did get a call from the local historical commision because I installed the chimney without a permit (this commission requires all residents in the historical section to get a permit for ANYTHING that alters the exterior appearance of the house). So who cares if the house burns down because of an improper installation, as long as it LOOKS okay.

What about in this new house with the installation that I will be doing? Is there some way I can get a copy of whatever you referrenced to take to the county clerks with me? While the inspection probably wouldn’t be a sound one, it would still be nice to have documented that I went through the proper channels...

If you are going to have it installed before occupancy then request it to be inspected by your building inspections dept or the fire dept
You may have to fill out a permit application to identify the said stove being permitted.

There is another reason for permitting as a public service to the people. As part of the permitting process, I require extensive documentation of the stove instalation and the installation components. For example, I want the manufactures specs for the stove and a the linner, should one be installed. We will make coppies of the installation clearances and place them in the file, with that address.
When the home changes hands and the new owner request a copy of past compliances of that stove, we have them on file. Example: 334 West St has a Qudra Fire 4000i Manufactured by Addlin Industries, installed with a damper plate and an insulated home savor liner HT 2100 UL 103 approved. All crearances to combustiables were inspected and checked. Installation date Dec 3 1999. When an incident occcures involving the wood stove, that information is available for the insurance investigators

Required in every installation manual is language that code compliance is required. In fact,they list the actual code like, IBC or NFPA 211. Or to consult with the local code enforcement officials for local code compliance. Permits are required by code and the manufacturer. So for all those towns where you inspector is too lazy to get off his duff and do the job he is paid to. He is doing you a disservice. You the tax payer, are paying for this apathy. You elected the people that appointed him and paying for his lack of service. As with any profession some inspectors are better than others and some are mailing it in, and in some cases can't be bothered. I believe that if I do the best job I can, your stay on the planet is safer and you can continue paying for my services.
For $30 I get 25 per inspection, I could have saved your life. I think most will agree one life saved is worth $25

Another thing to factor in,, is when you have issues with the stove. You have that piece of paper certifying the stove was installed according to code and specs. That gives you leverage when dealing with the manufacturer. ITs not the installation but the actual unit that is the issue. It makes it harder for the manufacturer to claim it is an installation issue and pass the buck. In order for warranty claims the stove has to be installed to specs. Actually the listing requires as part of that spects to be inspected and certified compliant. You are not asking the manufacturer to take your word it is installed correctly, but you have proof that piece of
paper. That same piece of paper, most homeowner insurance companies require. As the insurance companies pay out for Katrina and other disasters, They will be looking for ways to prevent additional payouts. How much leverage do you think you have when a non compliant stove caused your claim? That required piece of paper!!!!!!!!!! Sure would be handy to have now

Status
Not open for further replies.