Kettle on a soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdrt-rdr

Nov 18, 2007
NJ
Just got a Heritage soap stone stove.
Can I put a Kettle directly on the stone top or do I need some kind of trinket inbetween the kettle and stove.
And does it matter whether I use a poreclain coated kettle or a cast iron one.

Thanks,
Nick

i was told you need to put something under the kettle.. local stove store had a cheap thing for me..

I am dealing with the same question: my take on it is that you need something for the kettle to go on so you won't scratch the soapstone finish. I'm looking for a piece of stone or something. May just get a piece of tile/slate/granite from a local company.

Hi,

I have tried it both wayys; I have a cast iron kettle and trivet. I get more humidity by placing kettle on the stone. I'm just careful when I take it up so as to not scratch the stone, but then that can be buffed out also if you did.

SG

heres what i use.. seems to work well... i heard that if its right on the stone that it may scratch and even stain the stone with rust.. i wasn't taken any chances... this was ceap and easy..

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 322
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 351
  • wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 350
Or you could pick up a soapstone kettle and try and keep any grit from occuring between the kettle and the stove.

I refill this kettle daily by bringing the water to the kettle since it is easier and so that I don't dork up the finish.

I figure that the stone kettle itself won't be hard enough to scratch the stone stove. No rust worries and they just look cool once you polish them up a bit.

Attachments

• kettlesmall.JPG
    kettlesmall.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 332
We have small soapstone pieces that we set kettles or pan on.

If you go to Woodstock's web page, http://www.woodstove.com/pages/acces.html

and look at the boot warmers, that is what we use and it works quite well. Also, those things do work nicely for drying the insides of a pair of boots or gloves. We like the large ones for boots and the smaller ones for gloves. I also take an extra pair of gloves with me to the woods and have the small boot warmers inside the gloves. When my hands get cold and/or wet, I change gloves. What a joy it is to put on a warm pair of gloves then!

I just ordered those boot warmers, they look like the ticket. I checked on trying to buy a block of soapstone in many places but could not find one that was reasonable.
There is one place on EBAY where you can buy a case of 12x12x1/2 for $60.00. I don't need a case but would go in on it with a few others.....

Highbeam said:
Or you could pick up a soapstone kettle and try and keep any grit from occuring between the kettle and the stove.

I refill this kettle daily by bringing the water to the kettle since it is easier and so that I don't dork up the finish.

I figure that the stone kettle itself won't be hard enough to scratch the stone stove. No rust worries and they just look cool once you polish them up a bit.

i like that kettle..

I had a few tiles of soapstone left over from my hearth extension, so I cut up a few 6X6 squares and beveled the edges on the table saw. They would work well for the steamer (I'm assuming you have it top-vented and cannot use the steel block off). I use them when I'm heating up something on the stove.

The soapstone tiles look good and match the stove - I would think most tile places should be able some for you and probably even cut to size if you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.