Kettle on Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfish

Oct 31, 2008
Western CT
I finally got rid of my old Frontier steel boiler plate wood stove and invested in a new Hearthstone Heritage. I love the stove, it looks great and burns nice. With my old stove I always had a kettle on top to add a little moisture to the air but I'm leary of putting it on the soapstone. I would hate to scratch it or thermal shock the stone with a spill over.

Any thoughts on this?

We've had no problems with scratches.

I haven't experienced scratches yet but I use a soapstone kettle. The scratches would be caused by grit between the kettle and the stove.

The real trick: Don't move the kettle. Bring new water to the kettle and refill in place. You'll never get scratches that way and if you do you won't know about it since they will be under the kettle.

Since your new heritage doesn't get that hot it won't use up much water but every bit counts.

Attachments

• kettlesmall.JPG
    kettlesmall.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 284
get some fire resistent material and stove cement or some type of high temp apoxy and glue 3 or 4 pieces to the bottom of your kettle..thats what my soap stone pot came with...happy burning... i have had to recement my pads,they seam to come loose after a while...maybe someone knows of a better glueing method...

I used an old kettle last year on our new Homestead. Winced at times when we replaced the kettle on the stovetop - but don't see any scratches. This year I want a soapstone pot for the top. Had a new wood floor in the house and was able to keep humidity between 45-55% all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.