Key Damper Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedriver

Feb 12, 2014
Nelson township Ohio
I've got a Drolet Blackcomb 1.9 cf. stove . 23 ft . of inside chimney lined with 5.5 smooth wall steel liner, and 3 ft. of 2 wall pipe with 2 - 45* . 1 at stove and 1 at chimney. VERY good draft !!! I've got lots of silver maple to burn . burned 3 cords last winter. got 8 cords left. we all know it burns hot and a bit faster. however I did notice the silver maple can get a bit out of control ( over burn or run away ) only once and a while if you are not paying attention . ( small splits - to much intake air or to good of a draft ) .large splits and less air made a HUGE difference. almost perfect. :) once we got it figured out we're good to go. heating the entire house from the basement. me and the wife just love burning .so I got a DSP key damper to help control the draft, that I learned from this forum ( thanks ). my question is why do some dampers look like they are solid and totally close off and some are not as closed off and much less restrictive like the DSP that I got ??

Because you don't want to kill yourself with CO because it can't go up the chimney?

Specs on the DSP damper say that it displaces 4.5 inches of the pipe. So there is space around it and it doesn't block off the whole pipe. Same difference as for the ones with the holes in them that are the same width as the pipe.

Specs on the DSP damper say that it displaces 4.5 inches of the pipe. So there is space around it and it doesn't block off the whole pipe. Same difference as for the ones with the holes in them that are the same width as the pipe.
I do understand that and how it works. it's pretty simple stuff. so there are some mfgs. that just don't have the space around it or any holes in it and no real " spec " .( CO problem ). seems like the design is really the spec of the mfg. for whatever their reasons may be safety or otherwise. thanks

Actually the specs for flue dampers is detailed in UL 737 section 7.2.

You seem confused by all of my answers. ;lol There is no law that says anything has to be made to UL safety specs. There are key dampers that are safe and there are key dampers that are not safe.

Fortunately the unsafe variety are uncommon.

You seem confused by all of my answers. ;lol There is no law that says anything has to be made to UL safety specs. There are key dampers that are safe and there are key dampers that are not safe.
than why didn't you just say that in the first place to just answer my question and save all the confusion. how would I know that .key dampers is something I knew little about, that's why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.