Keys to winning the other half over to wood burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

1. Clean up everyday around the stove and treat it like a fine piece of furniture
2. Also clean and wood chips bark that enter the home as well
3. Remember to open the damper before loading. Setting off the smoke alarms, pisses off the wife.
4. Neat ash extraction and not a billowing poof of an ash cloud is a must
5. Store any inside wood in a neat pile or in a wood box
6. Getting the wife to load the stove and have splits stored inside for convenient loading.
7. Having your wife brag how mush she saves heating with wood to her friends and co coworkers
8. Sitting around the warm home with the fire going in quiet moments with your wife sipping beverages
Priceless!!

Good tips Elk. Making it easy and neat is a winner for sure. Another tip, turn the thermostat down a couple degrees. When honey notes it's a bit chilly, smile and start a warm fire. Instant hero.

Took my wife nearly two years to convince me to look at getting a pellet stove.

Now we can't wait for winter (or the first chilly fall night).

I am a fortunate man...She is more than happy to start, load and tend when i am not there...The wood box next to stove is good for about 2 days..then 50 feet away is a 2 week supply at the other end of the basement...dry and stacked...All i have to do is keep that filled...

A good buddy's wife even does all his interior stacking!!

Wonder if it is the water or the air!!!!

- A nice install that she helps design/decorate
- Keeping it clean
- Point out The fact that a wood stove WILL cause the interior temp of the house to be much higher than if using oil.
- Cheaper oil bills

The only convincing my women needed was the electric bill.

She can pack more wood in the Resolute Acclaim for an overnight burn than any mortal man.

She's looking at the 5 cord pile right now, getting ready for winter, and its making her frisky.

The first time my wife felt the heat from the stove she was hooked. She likes that cozy feeling that only a wood stove can give you.
I'm going to get her more involved in the process this year...teach her how to establish the draft, light a nice fire, how the stove burns, etc...

frisky don't take her out in .a canoe the safer bet is to feed her natural lite.

who knew wood burning could be create this much heat and excitement

Have some great kindling close by. My wife would complain many times when the fire was balky to start. Now I have clean and easy to start cabinetry scraps set aside for her. Fire starts right up and she is very happy. Also, don't make the splits so large that they are hard to finesse into the stove. And never have anything set out but fully dried wood. Keep it easy, clean and convenient and ya'll be happy.

Sandor said:
She's looking at the 5 cord pile right now, and its making her frisky.

Don't flatter yourself :lol:

Man, that line is so loaded I could go on for pages... but I won't... I'd like to... no, Love to... but I won't.. I can't.. well, yeah, I could, but no... nope... no.

-- Mike

Mike Wilson said:
Sandor said:

Man, that line is so loaded I could go on for pages... but I won't... I'd like to... no, Love to... but I won't.. I can't.. well, yeah, I could, but no... nope... no.

-- Mike

OH COME ON MIKE..........GET THE PARTY STARTED....

this topic could make in in the ash can in a hurry MSG has his key strokes waiting

Msg start your engine

Mike Wilson said:
Sandor said:

-- Mike

Mike, its ok to be envious.

And Elk, she won't drink Natural Lite, only Mic Ultra, or Appletini's.... to Mo's chagrin.

BeGreen, you are so right. Having a nice stash of dry wood to get her going (no pun intended) boosts her confidence.

Is it snowing yet?

My wife was raised by "the doctor of stoves" so I am in the exact opposite position, I would have to convince her that there are other ways to heat your house.:) I love going home and talking btu's, efficiency, etc and knowing that she knows exactly what I'm talking about. She still thinks I'm a dork sitting online talking about stoves on my time off though.

Sandor said:
Sandor said:

I feel so insufficient. Here I am, trying to keep my wife warm with only a 3 cord pile, when my pal Sandor has 5 cord...

of course, Sandor splits his in quarters, mine are split in half, so they're... ahem... thicker. ;-)

-- Mike

(Ash can, here we come!!! Swoosh! . . . . . . . thud!)

Is it the size of the split or the motion of the flame? Yikes

Mike Wilson said:
Sandor said:
Sandor said:

I feel so insufficient. Here I am, trying to keep my wife warm with only a 3 cord pile, when my pal Sandor has 5 cord...

of course, Sandor splits his in quarters, mine are split in half, so they're... ahem... thicker. ;-)

-- Mike

(Ash can, here we come!!! Swoosh! . . . . . . . thud!)

Fellas, As long as women have the light switch vs. the iron comparison....Sandor has got the soapstone stove so he might last longer!!!

She owns the house and his stove is in storage. Right where she could put him at any time.

What size mattress fits in a Woodstock by the way?

adrpga498 said:
Is it the size of the split or the motion of the flame? Yikes
Now we can have a large log with a little flame OR a small log with a big flame .............Ah , nevermind . HA . ( Hearthnet rated G )

BrotherBart said:
She owns the house and his stove is in storage. Right where she could put him at any time.

What size mattress fits in a Woodstock by the way?

To all... Thanks for the great laughs at 4:30 this morning!

And BB, you are so right! "Investment" property shopping this AM as a hedge. Just in case she gets tired of dealing with the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.