Keystoker Factory on Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like bad news... those poor, poor stoves :down:

More info:

News Report

Fire badly damaged a business in Schuylkill County Thursday night. Keystoker, Inc. makes coal stoves, furnaces and boilers at its plant near Schuylkill Haven.

The fire started around 7:30 p.m. at the company just off Route 61 in North Maheim Township. According to emergency management officials, the flames started in one of four buildings that are connected to each other. That building sustained heavy damage. The others were damaged by smoke and water.

Some 200 firefighters responded to the scene. By 9 p.m., they had the fire under control.

A worker told Newswatch 16 that most of the employees left for the day at 3:30 p.m. He said the rest finished up around 5, and did not report any problems.

No one was hurt in the fire. The cause is under investigation. Keystoker officials have not yet announced whether workers should report on Friday.

Thats not far from me, prolly about 40 miles if that.

probably didn't have an insulated liner...shame....

Fist-o-Fury said:

No block off plate for their insert I bet.

Was on local news, being pretty much local to here. The company consists of several buildins on that plot of land. Only 1 caught fire. The rest are ok, no one hurt.
They are investigating the cause & origin. I'm sure they will be back in full swing very shortly, guess it depends on what the building that zorched was housing.

Hog st patty day is a Few months away a little early celebration Aye

Elk.....thats what ya get from livin near a Nuke Plant...although I think its too much suds!!!leaching out from a long new years party... :sick:

Fist-o-Fury said:
You aren't gona let that go are you.( THE FIST IS OUT)

elkimmeg said:
Hog st patty day is a Few months away a little early celebration Aye

No sir, just a lil joke about the Nuke plant here having two "oops we hit the alarm by mistake while testing" a couple weeks ago. 2 separate days. I heard the alarm, thought it was the fire co. But thought it strange, no fire co within miles of here. Good thing it was a false alarm, although as close as I am, it wouldn't matter much.
Hence the green glow.

Actually its a series of i think like several hundred or thousand alarms. Still won't matter, I am at ground zero basically.

Budman, I promise thats the last of it..lol..

if the stoves were damaged... all I could see saving on would be the paint job. Not to much else of large expense that would get damaged in the heat produced from that fire I would think. I would think it would be hard to get an overfire heat on the units from that. Electrical components are not very pricey. Repainting is cheaper for them then us. The motor drive for the stockers would be cheaper for them then us. Anyway you look at it I think the repairs to the unit would be cheaper for them to do then us. Unless they take the approach that they claim a loss on the units, sell them cheaper to blow them out and get the difference from the insurance co. However if they take to much losss on the itesm the insurance co. will take the units and liquidate them to reecoupe their claim.
Maybe they can boost sales by publicizing the big "Fire Damaged" sale and use some loss leaders to attract customers.

coldinnj said:
if the stoves were damaged... all I could see saving on would be the paint job. Not to much else of large expense that would get damaged in the heat produced from that fire I would think. I would think it would be hard to get an overfire heat on the units from that. Electrical components are not very pricey. Repainting is cheaper for them then us. The motor drive for the stockers would be cheaper for them then us. Anyway you look at it I think the repairs to the unit would be cheaper for them to do then us. Unless they take the approach that they claim a loss on the units, sell them cheaper to blow them out and get the difference from the insurance co. However if they take to much losss on the itesm the insurance co. will take the units and liquidate them to reecoupe their claim.
Maybe they can boost sales by publicizing the big "Fire Damaged" sale and use some loss leaders to attract customers.

If claimed as damaged and covered by Insurance, the "damaged" ones will be salvaged off. Sort of like a closed auction.

Fist-o-Fury said:
Budman, I promise thats the last of it..lol..
Mine isen't insulated either (KEEP IT QUIET)

Status
Not open for further replies.