Keystone gasket replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So after how many seasons of burning should you replace all of the gaskets? I know I need to change the door gasket but don't know if I want to change the glass gasket and all the others at this point .

It depends on how much its used, burn temps, ect.

You can do the "dollar bill test" on the door gasket to see if that needs replacement. Usually when the glass gasket needs to be replaced, I notice a streaky soot mark on the glass where its leaking. I can also see leaks in the flame itself when I get a roaring fire going. How long have you had the stove?

The glass gasket is a less common replacement item. It doesn't get the frequent workout like a door gasket does. I'd only replace it if it's showing clear signs of leakage or failure.

The Keystone has two panes of ceramic glass. Each pane is gasketed separately. As Begreen said it's not a common replacement item. The dollar bill test is great for the load door, ash door, and the bypass cover. These gaskets see the most use and should be checked on a regular basis. The Keystone has room for adjustment in each of those areas. You can find most of the instructions on our web site www.woodstove.com. Or just give us a shout 800-866-4344. Have a great weekend all

That glass gasket looks like a major pain to replace, I won't be replacing mine til I notice some leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.