Keystone pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmancine

Dec 23, 2007
NE PA
I just picked up a ton of these pellets. Anyone have any good or bad information about them? image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 316
We usually don't go out on a limb without trying them first. Haven't seen them up my way yet. Hope they do well for you, Please post your thoughts once you've burned some for the rest of the group. PA has some decent mill making pellets, I hope their are another good mill for us to look out for.

May I ask what you paid for them?

Reactions: SESZOO
Woodpelletfuels.com (on the bottom of the bag in the picture) is the home site for Allegheny Hardwood Pellets. It looks like Allegheny is making more than one "brand" of pellets?
I've got a ton of Allegheny Pellets on my porch right now. They were 225 + delivery.

In fact... even the PO Box number is the same!
Allegheny Pellet Corporation is located at
P. O. Box 183
Youngsville PA 16371
Our phone number is: 814-563-4358

Woodpelletfuels.com (on the bottom of the bag in the picture) is the home site for Allegheny Hardwood Pellets. It looks like Allegheny is making more than one "brand" of pellets?
I've got a ton of Allegheny Pellets on my porch right now. They were 225 + delivery.
Youngsville Pa is home to Allegheny wood pellets, these are probably re bagged. Allegheny usually produces a very good hardwood pellet. Let us know how they do for ya

Burned a few bags that I got from the Cozy Barn to test...I think last year....for me very inconsistent pellet size (lots of bits and pieces) was on the ashy side, sorta comparable to GT's......I had pretty good heat out of them.....

In fact... even the PO Box number is the same!
Allegheny Pellet Corporation is located at
P. O. Box 183
Youngsville PA 16371
Our phone number is: 814-563-4358

I've never seen Allegheny bagged pellets here in NE PA.

Burned a few bags that I got from the Cozy Barn to test...I think last year....for me very inconsistent pellet size (lots of bits and pieces) was on the ashy side, sorta comparable to GT's......I had pretty good heat out of them.....

Got these from Cozy Barn. I paid 240 for the ton. I bought this brand about 3 or 4 years ago and remember that they burned pretty hot. I was satisfied with them at the time. However, this is the forts time I've seen them around here in the Poconos. Cozy didn't seem to have very many of them either.

I bought 2 ton of these myself. I found a trucking company in Johnsonburg, PA that sells them for $200 a ton. Turns out they haul the raw materials into the plant so they started getting pellets to take back to the yard and sell. Only thing with me is they are 45 miles away. I learned the other day that I can get the Allegheny pellets for 215 at a local hardware store. If they are the same pellets should pay the 215 for the closer ones or hitch up the trailer and go get the Keystones? last trip I hauled back 3 tons, one in the truck and 2 on my trailer.

If anyone knows of a source for these or other decent pellets in SE PA I would appreciate knowing about them. We're trying to buy more "local" products to reduce the impact of shipping (getting greener as I age), and pellets seem like an ideal product on which I should focus. Wish I could find a good quality hardwood produced within 100 miles of Philadelphia.

I have been burning these this winter(about 3 tons so far). I have nothing else to compare them to, but they seem to burn fine. I wonder if they make more or less ash compared to other brands. I got mine for $225 per ton, including delivery this fall. I live in western NY (between Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY)

I burned 5.5 tons of these in my Harman PC45. They seemed to burn pretty clean and put out decent heat. I will be using them this winter as well.

The 45 could probably burn sheep manure without issue as long as it could get through the feed system. Shame company discontinued its production when corn is now cheap and pellets have made a stupid price hike. I don't see any comparable multifuel stove out there.

I don't see any comparable multifuel stove out there.
Bio, all Harmans can run the 50 / 50 mix just as you do now so in a sense they are multi fuel. A bit more limited yes but they can all roll some corn. Probably why they went the route they did. Although burning 100% corn cheaper is only an option with the 45's.

The only reason I don't feed the 45 straight corn is it has the Crosslink and seems to not to like a lower idle with corn with it installed. Have ran it without the crosslink and had no issue but who likes cold feet and a cold shower:)

I have to do some work on my 45 this fall....replacing the door gasket is one of them. Here is a shot of my stash of Keystones. They were 230 per ton. I got 6 tons delivered for $100 delivery fee. Even though this takes a lot of space in my garage, it's worth it when winter hits not to have to go outside to get pellets.
IMG_2476.JPG

The only reason I don't feed the 45 straight corn is it has the Crosslink and seems to not to like a lower idle with corn with it installed. Have ran it without the crosslink and had no issue but who likes cold feet and a cold shower:)

I'd like to get a crosslink for my stove, but they are kind of expensive. Maybe a used one will turn up eventually. I also expect I will have to replace the burn pot soon. My stove came with two, one with large holes for pellets only and one with smaller holes. I ended up drilling out the one with smaller holes because i don't really see the price of corn going down where i live...

Might as well do the ash bin door too. Seems that it gets more compression from ash making it dirty. I use graphite impregnated rope and have really like the results in that it seems to last longer.

I'd like to get a crosslink for my stove, but they are kind of expensive. Maybe a used one will turn up eventually. I also expect I will have to replace the burn pot soon. My stove came with two, one with large holes for pellets only and one with smaller holes. I ended up drilling out the one with smaller holes because i don't really see the price of corn going down where i live...
Do you see the price of anything going down in NY?

Do you see the price of anything going down in NY?

lol. not really. Although i haven't shopped around for fuel oil very much, i can tell you i paid $1.70 per gallon in September of last year and this year, we got it for $1.40 per gallon. We heat with both pellets and oil and at that price, it's almost a break even point, so I won't be too shy about using the oil heat.

We have some legislators thinking that now would be a good time to hike the fuel taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.