Keystone performance - 2nd year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So half way through the second year of my Keystone the learning curve and performance I couldn't be happier with.

New chimney in last spring made big difference this season. High stove top temps most of the time and some learning with some overfire conditions. After asking overfire questions on this forum and talking with Woodstock figured out my safe operation area. Now still some occasional overfire temps but very controllable to keep in line.

So here are some pics to show how well this thing works and is controlled. The one pic shows the 2 small splits that are burning and the second the stove top temp. Not bad at all and I would recommend this unit to anyone as long as they have a correct chimney etc . I would think about a new Progress but was told I might just cook myself out of the house

Attachments

• IMG-20120106-00226.jpg
    IMG-20120106-00226.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG-20120106-00227.jpg
    IMG-20120106-00227.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 230
Great news! I also have better performance since I installed a new liner last year. 2nd season with mine too. The Keystone is without a doubt the best stove I have ever used. I just wish the new PH was a 3.0 cu ft Keystone - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Happy burning,
Bill

Sounds good. Love both of mine, just wish we would have some cold weather so I could see if both can keep up. It's been so warm here I've only been burning 1 stove to heat 2000 sq ft. 12 hour burns are no problem for these shoulder season temps and if you need the heat turn up the air and she comes through. A 2 cu ft Keystone would be perfect for me, sometimes it's like a jigsaw puzzle trying to fill the stove up to the max to get those long burns.

Just ordered my keystone last week, what chimney issues did you have?

The chimney that was in place was a older one that had a gas heater vented through it for years. It was a terra cotta liner and was about 60 feet high. It burned okay but some of the block was starting to rot and I had no idea of how much the terra cotta was cracked,etc. So we had them take the old one down completly and put up a new stainless steel unit that also was shorted up by about 20 feet. The new chimeny has a super draft and the other thing it has a bottom clean out. I have checked it a few times this year and nothing at all building up in it.

Here are some pics of the new one and one of when they were putting it up. The old one went from the ground the whole way up. As you can see the new unit just starts where the pipe comes out of the wall.

With the old chimney I never had a overfire temp and could only max out at about 600. With the new one 600+ is a norm now. Its cruising now at 450 and there is only a very small bed of coals

Attachments

• chimIMG_1345.jpg
    chimIMG_1345.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 173
  • chimmeny 002.jpg
    chimmeny 002.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 194
  • chimmeny 003.jpg
    chimmeny 003.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 180
Kyle M said:
Just ordered my keystone last week, what chimney issues did you have?

My chimney was short on draft and upon further inspection, we found some cracks in it - clay liner. Put in a 6 inch insulated liner and big difference.

You are going to like that Keystone!

Bill

yea - one thing I wish is it was just a little bit bigger for getting in a extra piece of wood or so. It is like a jigsaw puzzle sometimes. I have tried making smaller splits and I could stuff it more and have used larger splits and can only get in 4 to 5. That being said either way burned hot and long so no advantage one way or another.

I have burned this thing 24/7 at least for a month here and only today let it die down to check the cat - no problem and clean as a whistle. Also cleaned the glass up a little but it really was only some ash on it. I have not had to start from scratch that whole time. Basically load it up around 11 and when I come down around 8 always enough coals to just throw some splits on it. Rarely is the thing below 300 after all nite burns

Status
Not open for further replies.