Keystone permit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
So after 2 years of waffling back and forth on stoves, I pulled the trigger and ordered a woodstock keystone. I have the manual practicaly memorized as I start putting together my hearth.

So here is the question/issue. I know from talking to people on the forum as well as the helpful folks at woodstock that the stove will work just fine with a 6 inch stainless liner (with 7 to 6 inch reducer of course) So I have the liner and insulation waiting in the basement.

Then it occurred to me that this might be a problem getting my permit. The manual states that I need a 7 inch flue.

I am going to talk with building and codes on Monday. Any tips or ideas to get the permit approved with my 6 inch liner, or am I going to have to go buy a 7 inch and sell my 6 inch?

What do ya think?

I would start by getting a written response from Woodstock authorizing the 6" flue. The manufacturer would be "clarifying" the manual.

Goofy 7" flue. About as goofy as the oval or square ones on some other brands.

Yeah, I never understood why they have their 7" flue on the smaller stoves. Redesigning it to work efficiently with a 6" pipe might boost sales of the Keystone and Palladian.

I could of sworn I saw something somewhere in their manual or literature about the 6" being ok. Like Highbeam said, get Woodstock to wright something up for you.

The manual is pretty direct with this section underlined:

Do not vent the Palladian or Keystone into a chimney of less than 7 inches in
diameter.

Todd said:
I could of sworn I saw something somewhere in their manual or literature about the 6" being ok. Like Highbeam said, get Woodstock to wright something up for you.

You are correct. In their article about "What Makes a Good Chimney", they state in section 2 that a 6 or 7 inch flue is ideal for their stoves.

I can see how that might be misconstrued, but it is essentially correct. A 6" flue is ideal for the Fireview and Classic stove, a 7" flue is ideal for the Palladian and Keystone. Regardless, my understanding is that the manual is the final word here. The flue size statement underlined in the manual is what the inspector will go by.

The underlined part of the install manual is pretty clear, but it can't hurt to talk with the inspector tomorrow. I'll see what he says.

I have to basically rebuild the top 1/2 of the chimney anyway. This would just mean I'd have to pull the 6/10 clay liner out and go with the full 7 inch ss liner with insulation wrap.

Well that idea did cross my mind, but I'd rather see if I can get the approval first. So I fired off an email to woodstock and I'll see what they say. They told me last week that they should have the new certifications taken care of before the 13th of april. I wonder if they will recertify this stove with a 6 inch exit rather then a 7.
I'll post what I find.

Rob

follow up. The friendly folks at woodstock are going to send me an official letter giving me the ok to use a 7 to 6 inch adapter on the chimney.
So I got that going for me.... wich is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.