Kick some sense into me... Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlyduck

Dec 12, 2009
Central PA
I am in a great debate over what new stove to buy. I currently run a 10 year old Englander 25- PDVC and am fed up with being cold. Reading about the Harman's, it seems that one almost can't go wrong, however the price is high (considering the P68). My father installed a Kozi Previa last march and had no issues for the few months he used it. The Kozi threw amazing heat compared to my little Englander. My Brother runs an Englander 25-PDV and heats a 2500 sf house with No issues.

I was considering the larger Englander but we had a hopper fire last Feb and the wife is concerned about the design. My fire was the result of a bearing locking up from dust accumulation under the seal. It stopped the bottom auger and made the motor sequel on the shaft. Wife then shut the stove down via the control panel (lucky she was not working). Because the auger had stopped, the fire cheeped up the tubes and hit the hopper. I always keep the hopper latched closed and that is why. The lack of oxygen in the hopper allowed the fire to simply smolder in there for a few hours. I came home and opened the hopper which filled the house with smoke. I replaced the auger bearings and one of the auger motors and ran it the additional 3 months until spring with no issues.

We are working on starting a family and I want the best stove that reasonable money can buy. I have searched the internet as thoroughly as I can and have found very little about the Kozi stoves. I have talked to dealers who say only good things about them, mostly how Kozy has been using the same components for the last 15yrs with the exception on the new digital control panel.

I do have a theory about the lack of posts about the Kozi however... If you have a problem with an item what do you do... you search the internet for it. If all of the Kozi customers world wide don't have any issues, there wont be any posts about them... right??

Please help throw your thoughts in. I want to make a good 30 yr decision.

-Brian

The fact that you have gotten 10 yrs out of the Englander is great! Give yourself a pat on the back. Pellet stoves are complex and are going to need service, no matter what the brand. I don't know much about the Kozi except that folks report good things about their products. Keep asking questions and reading reviews. Harman makes good stoves, but ask folks and yourself how much daily/weekly maintenance you want to do, especially with a young family. While looking I would also check out Quadrafire and Enviro. They have a good reputation for reliability.

Or possibly switch to a good wood stove? Some with go 12 hrs between refueling and they have a lot less moving parts to wear.

If the 68 seems too high, check out the 43 or 38.. both are great stove, will make you rue the day you bought the englander, and will outperform the englander you currently have like no-one's business. A Kozi tops out at 40kbtu, for a couple grand.. why not get a 40k btu Harman from 2300 (p38) to 2800 (p43) vs the $3700 P68?

I really like the shut down and auto start features of the Previa and the P68. Preggo wife now then a new born, I don't want the house to roast them out in the spring and fall. I also had hopes of this saving a few bags of pellets over the season. Maybe I am looking to deep. I like the serious output of the P68 with the theory in mind of larger BTU rating may equal less pellets burned. I fully understand this has a lot to do with feed rate and stove efficiency.

Our small stove will keep the room that its in at 68 and the kitchen a meager 62 when its not super cold. I have recorded temps as low as 58 in the living room when it was 0 outside. Keep in in mind the thermostat is about 7 feet away from the stove and she was on high fire for days if not months straight. I am hoping that with this being an older stove, the efficiency was not there when they built it.

A little about the house... its an 1860s two story stick built with no insulation in the walls. original plaster has been covered with drywall with an air gap (lath) in between. Stone basement which stay about 54 all winter accept when its really cold. New windows throughout. We only heat the downstairs with it because I like it cold to sleep. I did cut a vent directly over the stove that feeds the bed room. Will keep it at 61 ish all winter. The main floor is a living room with stairwell going up, then an equal size dining room, then the kitchen, all a straight shot, no bends in the house. Cold as ice floors the whole way through. (I don't want to insulate because we are looking at moving in the next few years and wont get a return).

She wants to use the middle bedroom for the baby so I will be cutting another vent in the dining room with the hopes of keeping that room in the 70 range for the kid. I just want to make sure I get enough heat without going overboard. Also if I spend the 3800 on the P68 I cant go out and buy 4 tons right away. If I spend the 2200 on the Kozi I can buy two years worth right away.

I will do some searching about the other Harman models to see if they fit the bill also. Thanks for the price heads up, calling around for a price can be tedious.

Sorry about being long winded...

I see that with the P43 they call out a 16" side clearance. I have my Englander at 6". that would put the stove in the middle of my room!! Do they really get that much hotter than other stoves?

Heatilator PS-50. Its 50,000 BTU's and Cost under $2,000. Won't win any beauty competions. But its "Step-Top" design is similar to Harmans, but uses all Quadrafire components. Harman, Quad, and Heatilator are all owned by H & H. Great stove. Great price. Same components. As my CB 1200, just half the cost.

Attachments

• 1%20Heatilator.jpg
    1%20Heatilator.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 762
I heard you guys dropping the name a few times but never looked into them. After reading a little, I like the thought of a "bare bones" stove like the Englander or Heatilator IE: no crazy electronics to fail time and time again. The stove I have doesn't even have auto ignition, we use a torch. I also like the drop feed instead of what I have now as far as burn back is concerned. I am going to have to go to the local dealer and check one of these out.

I am now looking at the Englander 10-CPM. How do they compare with the other englanders? My family has experienced a lot of noisy fans and auger motors with the brand. I can only assume they are the same exact components. With that said, how quiet is the operation on the Heatilator? I am not picky but if I am dropping a few grand, I want it quiet.

I have also thought about burning cherry pits since the I am in the fruit belt of PA. This stove would make that a real future possibility. Just a thought.

Forum member imacman has a 10-CPM. He won the "How many bags can you burn without cleaning" Contest. He can tell you more. Its a Top Feed design with an agitator in the burn pot. From what I have heard and seen. There are a Great stove. The PS-50 should have the same blower as my Quad. I heat 2,180 sq ft on the Low Heat setting. But even when its on High (which is NEVER). Its still not bad. IMHO

Sent you a PM

Whirlyduck said:
I am now looking at the Englander 10-CPM. How do they compare with the other englanders? ......

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.....I have had virtually no problems w/ my 10-cpm. It will burn virtually any type pellet/corn/pit you throw in it.

As for the noise, the only comparison I have is to my previous Astoria, which was VERY quiet.....the 10-cpm isn't that quiet.

A friend has an Enviro....very nice stove and SUPER quiet.

Funny thing is, I came home from work and asked the wife what she thinks about the noise off the current stove. Her response was " do you remember when we shut it off this spring? I could hear the blood in my ears! I like how loud it is." thats a good vote to the englander. I am not bashing the parts they use, but do I oil my fans weekly or they squeel and they are both new. Not to mention, I will be putting the old stove in the pipe shop so I will stock one spare part pinstead of two... (that has yet to be confirmed by the way). On with the searching...

macman's results and advice from others as well as AM FM Stove's excellent deal on factory re-manufactured stoves with factory warranty and Englander's excellent support and service, easily persuaded me to get the 10-CPM. Still haven't installed it yet, but got 3.5 tons waiting to throw in it this winter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.