Kickin up alot of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Anyone else experienced alot of ash buildup up into the chimney ? I had this happen the first time and decided it was user error from not cleaning the ash out often enough so I started cleaning it out every time I load thinking that would be the end of it.
Well yesterday the thing didn't seem to be drafting that great so took off the cleanout cover on the bottom of the T and it was all plugged up with ash I filled a 12 x 20 - 3" tall tray nearly full of the stuff. Any thoughts on other things I should look at to fix this problem ?

I have a tarm solo 30 w/o storage. I clean the lower chamber of ash twice a day. At least once a day I pull all the ash from the far recesses of the boiler (under the heat exchange tubes) forward for removal. I try to keep the floor of my combustion tunnel chamber clear. I keep the combustion tunnel clean as well. If there are a lot of coals I rake them into a pile just inside the door and let them burn to ash before removal. I have found that increasing secondary air will help reduce the amount of coaling in the combustion chamber. Also, I try not to let the ash build up in the firebox. This is accomplished by not reloading until the existing load has burned down to embers...just enough to get quick gassification on the next load. Not sure if all this applies to an EKO so your mileage may vary.

jp

I clean out the ash chamber once or twice a week. I clean the chimney connector out about twice a season. I never get more than a couple inches of ash in the cleanout. Sounds like you've got excessive draft.

JP - Sounds similar to the EKO , a little better cleaning on my part could help a little but it seems like it takes it out as it burns.
Eric - I have some adjusting to do and think that may help by lowering the fan setting and reducing the forced draft . Funny it seems not enough draft when loading get smoke out door and too much draft with fan on. I only have 7' of chimney and have another 2' length in the shed I was planning to add when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.