Kid Safety Gate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpz

Sep 14, 2006
Syracuse, New York
Does anyone have any pictures or plans of a DIY safety gate around their free standing stoves?

I want to get one but don't want to drop the $$ on a store bought one.

Don't get me wrong guys, I think it is a good idea that you make a gate. In fact if I had kids I would have one, but when I was a kid my parents burn 24/7 and we never had a gate, and my brother and I never got burned! Funny how times change.

FatttFire said:
Don't get me wrong guys, I think it is a good idea that you make a gate. In fact if I had kids I would have one, but when I was a kid my parents burn 24/7 and we never had a gate, and my brother and I never got burned! Funny how times change.

This was discussed in some detail a while back. Valid points were raised on both sides. Ultimately I think the topic may have gotten locked.

Right now he's just looking for info on how to build one.

I saw a large 3 piece folding fireplace screen at Lowes for around $40. It isn't a sturdy gate, but would provide a barrier.

I have 2 young'uns also, but I have decided to go with the "get the Hell away from that!" technique. But I'm home with them all day.

I have opted not to go with one but curious as to what you could do in making one. Mine turned 1 last November so she was really into saying HOT and did pretty well. This year I am burning another stove in addition to the fireplace so another teaching session as she is about to hit 2. Are you any good at working with wood?

You could get some wood and make a mini-fence around it complete with a gate. You could probably make this temporary or permanent. Maybe you could use one of your child gates that you already have in addition to making something up. I have 2 child gates for the stairs that are pretty nice and would probably work if I was looking to do this. Only problem with the wood gate is that you need the clearance to combustibles as opposed to some of the other gates i have seen. I think you could make something really nice out of some decent wood for $60 or less.

Good Luck

I thought the same way guys. then I went to the local fireplace store and picked up the KidCo fireplace safety gate. It was $200, very sturdy, looks great and I had it installed in 15 minutes. Worth every penny

Kid co gate is cool, it has a door in the front of the gate, and you can get extensions for it down the road, but it is pricey. Ive seen large 3 fold screens that achieve the same thing that are half the price, but you have to move it each time to get to the stove.

exactly. Plus the kidco gate is attached to the wall with brackets. Super simple when you dont want it anymore, like in the summer, the brackets stay on the wall, and you just remove the gate!

We have the KidCo gate as well. For the money I think it's well worth it. It's sturdy, looks decent, and has a convenient door. I bought mine online with an extension section for far less than $200- take a look around- you will find lower prices.

Josh

Looks like the investment in pre built is worth it. My son touched the glass on our gas fireplace when he was around 1 or so. I put a fireplace screen around that and has worked fine for some years since. He's almost 6 going on 16 and like a bull in a china shop. I know he knows not to touch the new woodstove but its the clumsy fall into it I want to stop. I'll check out the Kidco gate.

Thanks!

My health insurance deductible for an ER visit is over $100 so if I can save 2 hr. visit to the hospital it is worth it... Not to mention burn scars on my kids that may last forever (physically and emotionally)

good decisions guys

FatttFire said:

These days it's the neighbor kid's lawyer everyone worries about.

Plus, no one is allowed to beat sense into kids any more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.