Killin' An Hour

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

Had a bit of time today, so I did this. Only about a block down my street. Still a bit more to the trees that I'm cutting up, but it's small stuff near the crown (lots of pruning to get near) and big stuff near the root ball that even if I cut thin, I cannot lift!!!

I have almost 2 cords C/S/S from this spot already. It's all ash, so I'm hoping it'll be dry enough for this winter; after I burn the face of ash + oak that I didn't burn this year.

It's almost 65* here today.........yesterday this wood was under 4-5 inches of snow!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 580
We too got pretty warm today but not quite as warm as you. It struck me once this afternoon that I was actually working outdoors and not wearing gloves. That is nice. Now if we can put the boots and coats away it will be even better.

Backwoods Savage said:
We too got pretty warm today but not quite as warm as you. It struck me once this afternoon that I was actually working outdoors and not wearing gloves. That is nice. Now if we can put the boots and coats away it will be even better.

I'll tell you this much.............I dressed for the morning temps when I left the house this AM. Still had the 3-5 inches of snow this AM also. Got home about noon, so I figured since the snow was melted away, I'd get some more wood. At the end of it all; I was soaked with just this one small load of wood. Long johns are great but not in 60+* weather!!

Good score! You had to of had some help getting those big rounds on the tailgate up and in didn't you?

You will want to split and stack that right away if you need it for next winter. I assume it was laying on the ground and probably
sucked up some moisture since it was covered in snow. If it was standing It should be fine but I'd still css as soon as you can.

Big rounds, big bar, big truck, big temps and big score.
btw - what's the "57th state"?

maplewood said:

You'll need to ask the guy in the "White House" for that answer.

cnice_37 said:
Do you only run a 28" bar? Yikes, my arms are soar looking at that beast!

Nice work.

When it's the only saw you have............YES!!!! This was only about a hour cutting, stacking in the truck and stacking at the house. Didn't use the saw long enough to get sore arms...........but I know exactly what you mean!!!! With a sharp chain, this old bad boy eats wood.

can't you get a smaller bar and chain?

dorkweed said:
maplewood said:

So long as the teleprompter is running, you may get an answer!

geoxman said:
can't you get a smaller bar and chain?

I'm sure I could, but a smaller saw is definitely in the future. I've used this one so much over the years, I really know how to manipulate it pretty well. It's actually quite nice trimming limbs off felled trees because I don't have to bend over so much.

But it is an old saw, and it's not real light either. A couple hours of straight cutting; I feel it the next day. Takes a bit of time to re-sharpen the chain with all those teeth on it also!

dorkweed said:
maplewood said:

Then it must be the State of Dismay! Cheers!

and it’s not real light either

neither is my Farm Boss! Good score and good luck with future scrounges!

Good grief, 65* would have the wimmens out in bikinis around here! :cheese: We still have several months for that kind of weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.