Killing black mold spores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance1

Nov 12, 2008
Has anyone had success in killing black mold spores with chemicals? If so, what chemical?

95% of mildew cleaning products on the market contain bleach. works for me but I guess you already new the answer good luck find a household cleaner that contains diffusable borates. but I did learn something about mold and mildew.

I'm not looking for a household cleaner to use on non-porous surfaces, bleach is fine for these type of surfaces. I'm looking for something to use on porous surfaces, wood and drywall.

Before i put my wood stove in my sun room, the paneling would get covered in black mold. I scrubbed it down with
a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Thats been 10 or 12 years ago and i've not seen any mold since : )

If my memory serves me correctly, the cost per gallon is around $30

Depending on the area you will be fogging you are better off picking up a five gallon pail for around $100

I’ve used the fogger on a recent project and am pleased with the results. Fogged the attic space and the basement, but only after a baking soda blast in the basement.

This was six months ago, I have not done air sampling tests but walking into that house today I don’t smell mold any longer.

I am told tea tree oil is the "green" way to kill fungus and some bacterial infestations. It is safe to use on skin and wood as well as any other surface I assume. I think you dilute it in water (must not really be an "oil" but maybe a resin of some sort).

SE Iowa said:
I am told tea tree oil is the "green" way to kill fungus and some bacterial infestations. It is safe to use on skin and wood as well as any other surface I assume. I think you dilute it in water (must not really be an "oil" but maybe a resin of some sort).

Tea Tree oil is good for lots of things, usually in dilution, but this is the first I've heard of it for mold and mildew. Experiment with different concentrations on a small area. Although Tea Tree oil is fairly safe, it can be irritating if applied full strength to skin, esp. large areas of skin. It is used full strength for acne spot treatment but usually diluted for larger areas.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.