Killing Poison Ivy in all it's forms...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

Last Winter I got a wee bit of Poison Ivy. My awareness thus enhansed, I cut a number of large PI vines, some 4" or better in diameter.

The crown of the forest is quite a bit more open since the EAB. Anyway, the forest floor is now covered with a lush carpet of PI...

I sprayed with a stout dose of broadleaf liller twice, about 4 weeks apart. I also have a half dozen more large trees covered with vines, an area of PI plants that are about 15-20" tall.

Right now I can't even let the dog run back there for fear He'll track it back t the family.

I guess the area is over a half acre added up.

Thanks,
Mike

It may be a lost cause for this summer, maybe not. Can you spray Roundup in the area without losing anything you want to keep? I would at least try to spot spray the leaves. It may knock some of it back. If you cannot pull the 4" vines out, cut the vine as near to the base as possible and apply full-strength roundup to the fresh cut. This needs to be done while the plant is still translocating (not dormant). Be careful if you are highly susceptible because that stuff seems to get airborne. Then in the spring stay on top of any shoots that come up and spot spray with Roundup. You could also physically remove the vines this winter during it's dormant period. But I think followup in the spring is critical to keeping it at bay.

Don't bother with RoundUp. Will take many applications for PI that large. Buy Glyphosate and save some $$ if you want to go down that road.

Spray the foliage with Crossbow. It's a woody brush killer. Won't harm grasses.

If already cut, apply Tordon to stump.

Be careful with both because they may spread to adjacent plants that you don't want to kill.

And don't burn the debris!

lukem said:
Don't bother with RoundUp. Will take many applications for PI that large. Buy Glyphosate and save some $$ if you want to go down that road.

Be careful with both because they may spread to adjacent plants that you don't want to kill.

The active ingredient in Roundup is Glyphosate!

BTW - there is a Roundup specifically for PI. Active ingredients are 1% Glyphosate & 0.1% Triclopyr.

CTwoodburner said:
lukem said:

The active ingredient in Roundup is Glyphosate!

BTW - there is a Roundup specifically for PI. Active ingredients are 1% Glyphosate & 0.1% Triclopyr.

Exactly! Don't pay for the name brand! It's the same stuff at a fraction of the price. You can get a lifetime supply for short $.

I had PI and Wisteria chocking trees and killing them on about 1 and a half acres.

I cut all the vines at the base of the trees one Winter ( very carefully) and then spent two Summers spraying with brush killers.

There's still a tiny bit of poison ivy and there always will be ( the birds help with that) and Wisteria seeds seem to lay dormant for years, so I'll have to keep going back, but at least I can get in there now and the trees they were in are either strangled and down on the ground or survived and are doing better.

lukem said:

Exactly. Roundup-glyphosate is a great vegetation killer for small annual weeds (and very low toxicity), it's less effective for things like thistles, burdock, or poison ivy. You'll have better luck with a brush killer.

One of our neighbors said he has something that he brushes on the stump after cutting poison ivy down to kill the root system. I don't know what it is called though.

i got 2.5 gal of off brand round up concentrate for 39.95 at a local general store mix 2 ounce per gal this jug will last highest ive seen was 90 bucks for 2.5 gal. Honcho and Mirage are some good off brand names .

Semipro said:
One of our neighbors said he has something that he brushes on the stump after cutting poison ivy down to kill the root system. I don't know what it is called though.
Tordon brush killer is one that works that way.

We have noticed it encroaching into the side yard, too. I can't recall what the husband used on it the last time he went after a colony of it, could have been Roundup or a cheaper generic substitute. (He works for a nursery/greenhouse operation) . I am 51 and had my first case of it last year when I was transplanting ferns in an infiltrated area before it had leafed out. I didn't know what the rash was, lol!

But if you have major vines I'd cut a chunk out of them now and paint the stumps with heavy duty brush and stump killer, leaving the part in the trees to die on its own and clean it up in the winter after the leaves have dropped off. Repeat in the spring time as new growth emerges. We have had to do that with several suckering shrubs that have infiltrated the crumbling stone wall along the road (the vegetation was compromising visibility in a dangerous way). It's pretty tedious work, but if you take your time and work methodically it will take care of the problem. If you cut the vines now you can go after the root system while the plant is still actively growing and kill the part in the tree's canopy, too.

Make sure you are well covered with clothing and immediately wash the clothing when you're finished. We also use either Fels Naptha soap or any number of skin cleansers that will cut the irritating oil produced by Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, or Sumac. A good scrubbing after exposure will usually prevent outbreaks, but you have to be thorough and don't dilly-dally when you've finished the job!

Neither of us have ever contracted Poison Ivy from any of our pets (a dog and 3 indoor/outdoor cats).

Here's a home remedy if you do get it. Scratch it a little, then rub area with a bleach soaked cotton ball works every time ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.