Kiln-dried by the pound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat

Nov 2, 2015
Raleigh
Hi everyone-- Just getting started with this wood burning stuff (having an insert installed this week) and have a firewood question or two. I have a local firewood dealer selling wood by the pound. They are asking $0.05/ pound for "green" wood and $0.20 for kiln dried. I don't think I would ever pay for green (or even seasoned wood) by weight because of the moisture variability, but kiln dried should be a pretty consistent lb/cord, right? If so, any idea if $0.20/lb is a good price? I might go pick up a small truck load do some calculations, but I figured it would be a good idea to check here first.--- Thanks

Looks to be around $600/cord at $.20/lb figured on ash at 3000lbs/cd, which is low. Doesn't seem to good of a price to me.
Probably aimed at a different market than those of us actually heating with wood. It would be for the bug free, crumbs free, pretty wood market.

Reactions: Applesister
Freshly felled spruce at 4000# the cord will give up 20M BTU after it is dry. 4000 nickles is $200/ cord for green.

Cotton wood, 50 cents per pound for 1 14MBTU cord at 2218#, *20 cents per pound, $443 for 14MBTU, not a good deal.

Local to me, five cents per pound for green splits would be a great deal, five cents per pound for green rounds that need to be split and seasoned is about the going rate. 20 cents per pound for seasoned, not so good.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like the green wood is the better deal. Maybe I'll pick up a load of the green and use it next season, and find another source for this season.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
might be two seasons before it can be used depending on species

Anyone selling wood outside of the standard form and means of measuring is up to something. And dont get in the habit of buying wood by the pound. Its not the legal or acceptable form of measuring what you are purchasing.
RUN.

Thats not to say it wouldnt be the proper way to do it. And it may come to that. And another thing..how would you be able to weigh what you purchased??
Really???
I know everyone likes to use their high tech calculators and all that math. But...

my question is how do they weigh the wood? i would think a small scale would be too time consuming, a large truck scale would be costly to maintain accuracy, and using 3rd party cert scales, well who knows what was in/on the truck at the time of empty weighing. i am with Applesister, sounds fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.