1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Kiln dried cord wood, $145 per cord

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by BrianK, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I don't see a milk crate though.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    I called em back today. They actually have it available in town (Chambersburg, PA) vs driving the 20 minutes to Ft. Loudon. I have to specify kiln dried when I pick up. To get 1 cord delivered is $175.00, (apparently I am 1 mile past the extra charge.) To get 2 cords delivered it would be $165.00 each. Pick up is still $145.00 and now that it can be picked up 2 blocks from my cousin who has the dump trailer, score. Otherwise I was going to have it delivered. Hoping to pick up 2 cords Saturday morning. I will post pics. I keep forgetting to ask what non sale price is for future reference. (Although I will never be in this situation again as I have come across hearth.com and already have 3 of 4 cords put up for next year.)
    raybonz and BrianK like this.
  3. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I will never see a deal like that in Mass.. I pay more for green wood but then again cost of living and wages are higher here.. It's all relative in my opinion..

Ray
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Around here you are luckey to get $110 a load of tree length delivered, Hard Maple, Beech, and Yellow Birch. Like most others I'd ...........almost..............just buy my wood at that price, but whats the fun in that. Scrounging is way more fun plus you get to use loud and dangerous tools!

TS
    swagler85 likes this.
  5. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    So tomorrow is the day we plan to go pick some up. So far the only good news I have heard about Gish logging is the kiln dried is sweet wood to burn. Most others I spoke with didn't even like to mention their name. Our goal to not get shorted is ask them to if we can buy 1 cord and if it ranks shy of a cord get compensated. (We will rank the first cord about 2 blocks away.) Were hoping we can then know for future loads whether were getting a cord or we just go elsewhere. I believe its loaded via a bucket on a loader. Almost half tempted to rank it right there to make sure were not out any money at all...

The wife gave me a Moisture Meter for Christmas (yeah early presents.) So that will go with me to make sure its the kiln dried. According to the website we will be looking for 8-12%. Ill post pics tomorrow...
    raybonz likes this.
  6. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Hope it works out. A deal like this is almost too good to be true. Now if it isnt dry or they are shorting people....

Side note, all the C+S wood dealers ive bought from reminded me of used car salesmen... Thats why I C+S my own now. I always used to be shorted when I bought it by the dump trailer load and it was never "dry".
  7. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    Well 3 cords later (2 for the driver and 1 for myself) I am happy. We tried to get a multi cord discount, he said he couldnt but the last load was 7 scoops with a bobcat (the first 2 were 6 scoops.) I tested a few pieces and got a range from 6%-15%. 15% for the larger ones. Seems like kiln dried only really works well on the smaller splits, which is to be expected. It is mostly oak, with a few random pieces of some I cannot identify.

The "non special price" is $165 per cord. Still not out of the norm for the area (I have seen up to $180.)

Now to stacking as much as i can before we get anymore weather, boy is it ever WINDY out!

IMG_20121222_090133.jpg IMG_20121222_111453.jpg IMG_20121222_130430.jpg IMG_20121222_130455.jpg IMG_20121222_130514.jpg
    raybonz, loon, ScotO and 1 other person like this.
  8. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Did you stack it out? How close to three cords did you get? The truck and trailer load looks like 1 1/2 and an overloaded trailer to me.
    Coal Reaper likes this.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    That would be a very sweet deal in my neck of the woods...
    raybonz likes this.
  10. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    Didn't get the stacking complete. I only have the load on the truck, the other 2 were not mine. Its definitely a full cord+. Burning some tonight, and its performing very nice!
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I love it when a plan comes together! That looks like some primo stuff.......looks like very little bark, that is a HUGE plus, IMO.....
  12. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

How
    How big is the bed of that pickup? They just dumped the wood in right , not stacked in there?
    I don't know but I wouldn't gues that to be close to a cord.
  13. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Its probably under the pile somewhere.

Pete
  14. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I'm with big daddy on that, no way one pickup load is any near a cord. I have loaded my truck with 18" rounds on an 8' bed and not come out to a cord once c/s/s. You would need to stack 4 foot high in that truck to get a cord.
  15. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Half a cord in a full size long bed truck looks like this.
    .5 cord in a truck 1.jpg
    No way the truck in the picture has a full dictionary cord in it.
  16. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    That wood looks great. I guess we'll have to wait for the final accounting to see if you got the full 3 cord, but like the others i think your a bit light, not too much though.
  17. Coal Reaper

Coal Reaper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    I am thinking one and a half also. Measure the stacks out and let us know!
  18. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA

Sorry, the truck and the trailer were 7 scoops (2 in the truck and 5 in the trailer), that is what I have. The prior (2)trips were 6 scoops, 2 in the bed and 4 in the trailer.

6 (or 7) Scoops = $145 (The picture is showing 1 full load of $145)

Sorry for the confusion.

1 Cubic yard bucket (1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet * 7 FULL loads roughly 190-200 cubic feet before stacked.)

After getting a few other loads locally, I am perfectly happy with the amount of wood we were able to obtain for $145.

Now back to stacking ....
    ScotO likes this.
  19. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I say you got a hell of a deal, Tuneighty! So you went for a total of 3 trips, and came back with a load like you pictured? SWEET!!
  20. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA
    After th
    After the trip we told the guy we would be back, this was at 10:07am, he scoffed a bit and said I close up shop at 11:50am, we were back for the 3rd load by 10:58am, the final load and on the way to my house by 11:15am. Its very local to the truck owner and not far from me. The load on the ground in the pics is that of what was on the truck/trailer, just what I scored. The other 2 I didn't snap pics of. But its a HUGE heap! If anyone else picks up in Chambersburg, pa, make sure you stop by http://www.roypitz.com for some liquit art...
    ScotO likes this.
  21. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Hey ZAP how did they get a picture of your stash??
    ScotO likes this.
  22. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
    Just read in the paper, wood is going for $350 a cord around here !!!

loon
  23. ScotO

ScotO Guest

HOLY CRAP! Good thing you get your's on your own, Loon!
  24. Tuneighty

Tuneighty Member

Loc:
    SC PA

Very little bark indeed! Some of it has already made it into the stove and its lovely!
    raybonz and ScotO like this.
  25. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Do you they will deliver to Carver, Mass. for that price? :)