kiln dried firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
called today for wood prices
there is company here in mass 200 half cord stacked on pallet
it is kept indoors and dried with a guarrantee of 10% moisture or less no insect no bark
400 for a cord?
the only way to get it is stacked on a pallet
imagine that

Thats the wood those people on the hill in Craigs neighborhood hosting BYOB parties buy ;)

Cripeys!!! 10% or less, sounds like a runaway waiting to happen.

babalu87 said:
Thats the wood those people on the hill in Craigs neighborhood hosting BYOB parties buy ;)
You did it now Bab. :grrr:

I bought 5 face cords delivered, =1 +2/3 cords of wood drying since 2006 in the summer for $500. $400 per cord for 10% water content wood is about right if you want to go for the really dry stuff. Probably better to mix it with some not so dried stuff to control the burn a bit.

That is still less than heating oil.
I just paid $3.11 a gallon to top off
the tank for the water heater.

This past March I bought 5 full cords of Western Red Cedar (slabs,mill ends) for $250. :coolsmile: Got kindling for years to come.Sometimes I mix some in with the Fir to get the fire really going. Moisture content is about 12% at this time. Ya really have to be careful with this really dry stuff. I`m not kidding when I tell you I can get the temp from 300 to 550 in about 20 minutes, sometimes even hotter than that. Deadly fuel if you don`t exercise some caution. Great to have lots on hand if you burn it properly.

$0.78Using the calculator on hearth.com. at $0.78/litre as in my September delivery, 1 cord for me @$300 is equal to $500 of oil. The latest oil delivery was at $0.899! A good thing I'm burning wood about 10 hours a day average.

Status
Not open for further replies.